• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best way to learn how to build....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An old joke around the toolshops, is a good toolmaker is measured on how well he can hide his mistakes.
And that is the key to whether you make guns that look good or just work. Some days I do nothing but cover up the previous days mistakes. :haha:
Let me just say, after years of teaching gun building classes, those that have experience with hand tools will have little trouble with building a gun. Those that don't will struggle. Both will make a gun that goes bang. :wink:

Mike Brooks said:
I'll be teaching again at my new humble abode as soon as we get moved, classes will probably start summer 2011.
That would be one of the best way to learn how to build.. I learn more by watching more than anything else.
also practice.. and lots of it. :v

I used to believe that "anyone can do anything they want to do, if they want it badly enough", as that was the way I was taught. But, over many years of trying different things that interested me, and watching others try to do things I was successful doing, I came to understand that some people are just NOT going to be able to do some things.

When I was in HS, for instance, a Trombone player a couple of years older than me practiced 3x as much as I did, and sounded like he was playing a sewer pipe! He was terrible. It did not matter how much he practiced or the fact that he actually did practice correctly: It didn't help.

Years later, I was aspiring to be a competitive level Trapshooter, and watched many other shooters trying to do the same thing as me. No matter how much they practiced, or paid for Coaching lessons, they simply could not do it. They would show up at the beginning of the Spring with a NEW GUN, thinking that a better gun would make them a better shooter. NOT.

I believe, like Mr. Brooks, that there are some people you can show how to do something, and they still Can't do it. But they will probably own newer, and more expensive, chisels, chasing hammers, and wood planes than you will!

As talented as my own father was, he had no patience to do fine work. He would be called a Rough in Carpenter- someone you turn loose on particle board, and 2 x 4" to rough in the frame of a new garage. He was the not the guy, however, to do fine cabinetwork, carvings, inlays, etc.

So, instructors everywhere have to face the fact that there will be that student one day who you simply cannot teach to do what you do well, no matter how patient you are, how attentive you are, and how good your communication skills are. You will need to encourage them to explore other areas where their "talents?" are more suited to the work.

After years of teaching, I have begun to think that many of these students have learning disabilities that have yet to be defined. Once defined, the Medical field has a high rate of success in finding treatments for these people.But, even the best trained instructors, with Education Psychology courses in their backgrounds, can't spot inherited problems in students unless the profession has already defined a problem, given it a name, and, hopefully, suggested methods of dealing with people who have the disorders. :hmm:

One can be the sharpest chisel in the drawer but if you don't understand the reasoning, technique and physics behind the tool you are using and the medium you are working in you are prone to some degree of failure along the way. Practice, education, patience and perseverance are the key to success in most semi-artistic endeavors. Skill is acquired, not instantly bestowed. Some just progress at a quicker pace than others.

Notice I said semi-artistic.

BTW... why does there always have to be some "medical diagnosis" for everything mentally related these days... And a pill to treat it.

Sometimes you need to call a spade a spade...

Capt. Fred said:
I gathered up as much info as I could and dove in. Mike's tutorial, a couple of DVD's, a couple of books, RCA vols 1 & 2, searching this site, basicaly any information I could get my hands on.

Then I went real slow and tried to think ahead as much as possible. I've worked in real high end carpentry forever so I'm experienced with having something worth a ton of money in my hands and trying to do the best you can without screwing it up.

The research is at least as much fun as the building for me. My fowler stock that I've been waiting for just showed up on Friday so I'm back into my fowler book before I commence to building.

Yep thats the plan

Mike Brooks said:
Mike Brooks' photo tutorial is a great help and although he makes it all look very easy for him, the buiding sequence and operations are splendedly depicted.
Thanks. :bow:
I did that tutorial after I and everyone else seemed to be answering the same questions over and over. I hope it has helped some people out.
I have taught gunbuilding at Conner Prairie for many years. Even then with hands on instruction some guys still don't get it. You can show somebody in person EXACTLY how to do inletting and they still can't do it. You turn your back for 5 minutes and they turn their stock into fire wood. :wink: Some folks can't follow simple instruction or use hand tools....I guess both of these skills should be learned before a build is attempted.
I'll be teaching again at my new humble abode as soon as we get moved, classes will probably start summer 2011.
You're already a fine builder Fred, I've seen your work! :thumbsup:

although i have never met you, i look forward to your new classes in a year or two.

I am a fledgling gun builder but a very experienced wood bow builder and teacher of the craft.

The first thing I ask a prospective bow builder is"what kind of wood working tools do you have". If the answer is none, I know this guy won't make it as a bow builder because he has never taken an interest in building anything out of wood. He is excited about the idea of making a bow but is totally lost in the actual execution. Usually these guys want me to make a bow for them while they watch and will never touch another piece of wood after they leave my shop.

I suspect the same is true for newbie gun builders. Making things with your hands is a life long progression starting perhaps with the first slingshot you made as a kid. If one hasn't made this progression, gun building will definitely be a daunting task.

Mike Brooks said:
Well, you're certainly local enough..... :haha:

that's true, i'm really excited to take some formal classes, especially without driving across country to do so. besides i like fowlers over rifles myself, and you make'em so it works out for learnin'.

Back