• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Better late then never

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thing

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I hunted hard this season. Could not find a single deer . Saw 2 bucks at night in the fields as I came out of woods . All the deer in this area seem to have shifted to very late movement . Seen them at night in the surrounding fields .
however, tonight 5 doe came to my location about 5:15 Pm. I looked for the largest doe. Waited until she was about 70 yards from me. Then she started to turn towards the wider open field.
I set, the fron sight about even with the top of her shoulder. The smoke totaly blocked my view. It was getting darker by the minute. I found her roughly 40 yards further out in the field. This is a crummy picture ,but all I had was my cell phone to take it with. I actually took the picture when it was dark after I got it out of the field. But at least the new rifle was put to the test. Had that same load in it since opening day of muzzle loader season back in Nov. 54 cal Virginia rifle 85 grains of 3F. I am not sure what she weighed . A guess would be roughtly 120 lbs. Give or take. Still have to the first to try again . And i will do just that.

Good job, I'm still hopeful. Got word tonight the property is going to be sold...can only hope it holds off till season is over.

Congratulations, that's getting it done !!
:thumbsup:

I use 90grns in my .54, basically the same load, excellent on deer

Have had seasons like that..
Its amazing when it can change in a minute.
Can't shoot one sitting on the couch.
Good shooting,You put your time in and earned it!
Great looking doe! :thumbsup:

Glad to see that you scored. Persistence pays.

I was attracted to this thread due to seeing "buck and ball". I thought someone had used that technique to get one and was very interested. I want to try that in my SxS 12 ga.

Congratulations on fine looking doe! Hope you score again before the first arrives. :thumbsup:

Situations, and luck, can change in an instant. I know because mine often switches from bad to worse in the blink of an eye. Congratulations on a really fine deer. :idunno:

Back