• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

better patterns with 777 than Goex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't want to change from 2f.I've got 5lbs of Goex and about the same of 777.I think I can make this work with 2f.

My patterns had holes in the center. The nice folks here told me to cut down on the wad mass. The wads were blasting through the pattern and disrupting it. I now use 1/3 of a lubed wad (sliced apart with my pocket knife) over 70 gr. of 2F powder, a plastic shot cup with the cushion part cut off, 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2 or 8 shot and one overshot card. My patterns improved drastically.
If I had choked barrels, I'd eliminate the shot cup.

Mr. Johnson- I would suggest that you look up the little "book" by V. M. Starr (available free on the Interweb) if you have not already done so. He gives his advice on loading smoothbores based on his long experience. It is excellent information.

Thanks for sharing Brit! If you would be so kind, a couple of questions: How do you make your shot? Your gun has what appears to be a fold down rear sight. Did that come on the gun or did you put it on? If the latter, what's the details on it?

http://www.muzzleloadingshotguns.com/articles

I use only black in all my muzzleloaders. I would use equal volumes of powder and shot, that is pretty standard. You can try omiting the cushion wad. I would try both 2F and 1F. The old brass shotshells I have taken apart usually had very coarse powder, proabably 1F. Maybe tat mean that the old timers prefered coarser powder?

Second, better pattern means tighter? How much tighter? Are we talking nice even 40 yard duck killing VS. train wreck patterns? Would it really make any real difference in hunting?

With modern shotguns, I often find that I use too much choke and expensive tungsten handloaded shells. Trouble is I normally actually kill the close ones and the far ones are a problem. I can't shoot as well as I once did. Having a 70 yard tungsten slingen' fire breathing monster of a shotgun is of little practical use.

Anyway, the site I linked to has a ton of good information. Maybe an easy shooting load that makes nice even patterns would kill more birds? Maybe the tightest patten on the board is not the best for hunting in the real world. Just ideas to ponder.

Regarding th eother post, packing a powder flask, shot snakes, caps, two kinds of wads, cleaning supplies, and so on is complicated enough. Does it need to be furhter complicated by duplex loads?

Last edited by a moderator:
THBailey said:
Thanks for sharing Brit! If you would be so kind, a couple of questions: How do you make your shot? Your gun has what appears to be a fold down rear sight. Did that come on the gun or did you put it on? If the latter, what's the details on it?

I made that shot at work years ago when I was bored between projects, it has all gone now. I did just as well with it though really!
The Pedersoli comes with the express rear sight and it is their base model double barrel shotgun. 25" tubes and all blacked iron parts with a basic walnut semi pistol grip stock. No chokes.
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

B.

I mean tighter patterns with the 777.The Goex patterned ok but needs work.I was shooting only 20 yards.From the patterns I got at twenty yards,forty yards would be too far for effective hunting,I think.My gun has removable chokes so that helps.I was using Mod and full.I'm thinking 30-35 yards max killing distance.Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't see this gun shooting a killing pattern at forty yards.

I think 40 yards is out of the question with either my CVA or Navy Pietta with no chokes. 30 yards = good patterns but 25 = great patterns.

My Pietta will shoot dead on with the left barrel at 50 yards with a .715 patched ball. The right barrel shoots 4" low at 50 yards. I'm going to use it for deer hunting next year.

I don't mind being hijacked.You had some great pics and I'm always interested in what works for others.

Humbly I would suggest muzzleloading shotguns being restraind to an equal volume of powder and shot as a maximum 40yds is too far!
I would also hazard a guess choking came about to help new cartridge guns where upon more powder was being added than shot!

B.

Yes sir, Brit, think you're right. There was any number of bright ideas about how to extend the range of fowling guns. The gambit ran from the 'candle cartridges' with wax poured into the shot column to makers like Eley who fiddled with wire cups to hold the shot together for extra range. Sort of like chasing the Holy Grail! :thumbsup:

I actually find it stressful trying to not waste powder and shot on long birds cartridge or front stuffer! I find it less stressful even enjoyable trying to get or be closer to my prey :thumbsup:

In just shy of 30years scatter gunning I have put more critters in the bag using light choking up to mod' than being tighter than mod'!

But that's just my experience etc.

B.

That's two of us. :thumbsup: It's surprising how well a touch of patience can work out for you.

Back