• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Biathlon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New course is finished, trail is marked and we're ready to go! Walking boots and snowshoes should be brought in case of fair weather. 5p.m. Pig Roast dinner to follow race on Sat. 1/21. :thumbsup:

I should be flyin outa here tomorrow a.m.-arriving in BOS tomorrow afternoon. Anyone know what the weather is supposed to be like this weekend? How about next weekend at Smuggler's Notch? Not easy to pack all my "winter stuff" when I'm flying?

I'll try to talk with my Minnesota accent so you guys can pick me out from the crowd.

:haha:

Hey Riley, Weather in the Boston area is absoultly unbeliveably warm 35-55 depending. At Smugglers Notch,Vt. range has been 10-45 depending. Lodging at Vt. is hard, I'm staying in Williston at the Fairfield Inn, approx. 25mi. away from biathlon.($64/n with AAA)

Warm and brown here, too. I think maybe I'll opt for the mid-weight boots.

I have a friend in Williston and am going to try to shack up there. I have a Mon. flight out of BOS, though. How long is the ride from Williston to Boston? Been a few years since I made that trip...

Whew ... I am fresh back from the Hanson Longrifles "Snowshoe Biathlon" and what a great time it was! It was a balmy 56 degrees out and with no snow ... you had to carry the wooden shoes across your back and the "woods walk" turned more into a "woods run". I started out running and felt like Hawkeye running through the woods in the opening scenes of "The Last of the Mohicans", with Daniel Day Lewis.

It was a great time, on a beautiful wooden setting, with great people, and some absolutely GORGEOUS rifles to be seen. One family of 3 all had a rifle whose stock was made from the same ultra-grade of birds eye maple. Sweet :applause: ! The 100% tiger striped maple on the 54 smoothbore that Loretta just got for Xmas (made from a Chambers kit) was to die for!

There were 2 rifles and a pistol on the raffle table along with many other prizes. There's a pig roast on SAT night, but alas, I had to leave to fly out for a business trip :( .

They're running this event again it on Sunday ... so if you get a chance, stop by. John, Linda, Tom, and the whole crew made sure it was a super event. Thanks Big John :thumbsup: , it was indeed a pleasure to meet up with you!

Hey Big John,
Sorry I couldnt make it to your event but due to family obligations so guess I will have to wait until next year. Unfortunatly I will also not be able to attend the Smugs event. "It's just not my year".
I am looking forward to seeing you at the SVT biathlon.

Hopr

to bad you can't make it Brew...but I'll be at the svt biathlon for sure! I took my wife & nephew out for some practice today- the nephew is pretty sure he's gonna beat both of us, even though this is his first time with a sidelock.I sure hope he likes it and comes to more of them!

Hey Longfowler, good to meet you. The Grice family went for the gold this weekend. Randy Butler,Wendy Butler,Harley Grice and Heather Grice all took home 1st. place awards. Heather also won the T/C rifle in the raffle. Good show.

Then there was that guy that showed up from Minnesota, had to borrow 'shoes and a gun...

Nice to meet you John. You too, longfowler. Sorry I missed you Mowrey. Are you going to make Smuggler's?

Now today, we might be ablr to use the snowshoes...

It was great to meet & shoot with you folks! the week is going to crawl by, just waiting to do it all over again at Smuggler's.(maybe this time I'll hit something...) I hope they got some of what I've been shoveling today, it's more fun to wear the shoes than carry them. And yes, my nephew did beat me!

Hey Big John,
You will be happy to know that the elders division at the Southern Vermont Primitive Biathlon begins at the age of 60 not 65. Thanks for making us aware of this error on our rules page. Not that anybody can beat Harley Grice anyway.

Looking forward to meeting them. Have them bring plenty of round balls because I plan on having additional shooting events throughout the day.
I understand because of the lack of snow at your event, you had the competitors carry their snowshoes. I am hoping we will get some snow by the 18th and 19th but if not, we have decided not to require the shooters to carry their shoes.
How many shooters did you guys get?

Mighty Oak
I hope to see some snow at your biathlon. It was a great walk through the woods last year. I appreciate not having to carry the snowshoes. I am not much of a knot person and at Hanson my knots slipped out at the third station each time and I ended up dragging them. See you all soon. Maybe Dalton.
Loretta

Muzzleloading Lady said:
... not much of a knot person ... my knots slipped ... I ended up dragging them.
Loretta ... me thinks you tied a "might knot" thar on your shores .... it "might" work, but then again, it "might knot" :blah:

:)

At Dalton I'll show you a slick method to carry your shores for if/when needed.

Thanks for turning me on to the forum. I look forward to checking out the topics. By the way my brother's an Eagle Scout and you notice he didn't teach how to tie the knots, I wonder... :hmm: I look forward to catching up with you and your lovely wife hopefully in Dalton.

Back