• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Killed my first deer this season, a big doe. I was shooting a rifle a friend gave me when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. It was made in the early 70s, has a Bill Large barrel, Roller lock and the finest piece of maple I have ever seen in a gun. It will cloverleaf at 50 yards even though the sights are a blur for me at my age. The .445 ball driven buy 70gr of 3f at 45 yards got through her to under the hide on the far side, she went about 40 yards,with a really good blood trail.

My camera batteries were dead when I tried to take a picture.

Good shooting Eric! Thats outstanding...
Makes the hunt special when you take the good memories of a friend with you.
This weekend on our hunt I stopped at the spot my Dad always hunted and we talked..He's been gone since 1998.
Keep those good thoughts alive.
Enjoy the backstraps!

Well Done!
I am sure your lost friend is proud of your accomplishment. It is the best way to share a hunt with him.
It is too bad for us that the batteries died on the camera. I am sure that you will not need a photo to remember any of it.

PJC

Spikebuck said:
Congratulations on the doe.

I'd like to see a picture of that special rifle even if the doe isn't beside it. Great wood and some of the best components built, it's got to be a beauty.

Me too.

Congrats on the deer.

I usually don't show the whole rifle because frankly, the guy who made it(Art Vandervogle) added some rather odd touches as well a good bit of Accuglass. His idea of lock panels baffles me. In spite of a few flaws in the craftsman ship this rifle holds a special place in my heart due to my dieing friends thoughtfulness.

Anyway, silver mounted, flintlock, 42" straight barrel.

Butt stock;

Forend;

The lock panels;

I thought about correcting the fit and finish on the rifle, there is a lot of extra wood but talked myself out of it not wanting to take away from my friends original gift. I want to keep it just like it was when Ralph gave it to me, warts and all.

This rifle was built in a time when there wasn't the vast available knowledge we have now. I suspect the builder just winged it on what he thought the rifle should look like.

When I noticed Mr Roller posting on the ALR site I asked him if he would fix a few minor things on the lock, loose, very worn frizzen and worn out cock screw. He went through the lock,polished the internals, gave me a new frizzen and headed it back my way for a ridiculously low price. The lock was extraordinary before he worked on it, after I got it back I thought I was shooting a percussion gun.

Here is the only shot I have of the whole rifle along with another of it's victims. I think I am up to deer #5 with the rifle possibly a few more I don't remember. When I hit them like this one, they all go 45-50 yards and take a dirt nap.

The little .445 ball has never failed me. I hit yesterdays doe in the same place.

I like it, you've honored your friend everytime you've used it. nice job on the shot placement, it doesnt matter what caliber it is when its not in the right place, you know where to put them.

I love it Eric and thanks for sharing. It is a one of a kind. I can only imagine the pride and the memories that you have when carrying it afield. I wouldn't change a thing!

Jeff

Those are great pictures Eric and it's good that you left the rifle "as is" in memory of your friend.

Latest posts

Back