• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big Ted on the pigeons.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been dicing with a fox that is killing chickens every night on a free range egg production unit. I finally worked out a pattern of its movements and found the weak link. So at 4am I was at its get away place.
At 4:20am the wind shifted just as the forecast indicated.
At 4;39am a dark shape in the dim light appeared and moving fast towards me.
As the 10g came up it also winded me and bolted. It was to dark for a running shot.
So, I had a gun loaded with 2oz of #4 buck in each barrel. Nothing for it but to go pigeon shooting for crop protection.
Amazingly the two buckshot loads got two birds down from the get go!
It was a slow session but good. I also invited a friend along who chuckled everytime the 10g went off.
20210807_185558.jpg

Eventually the rain got bad so we quit.
Better go clean the gun now....

Can you trap for that fox?

Nice job on the pigeons. Did you change loadings after the 1st buckshot loads?
Hello friend, yes sir, I did change loads after the fox buckshot loads had gone.
About 80gns/1&1/8oz of mixed bird shot.

This morning I got a fox but I don't think it's the one I have been photographing all be it it was leaving the chicken range.
Unfortunately it was not big Ted that done the deed. After a thorough clean last night and yet more uncertainty over the wind direction I went modern! Well, I say modern, it did have two hammers on the sides!
Has it happened Ted would of done just fine. And sounded better!
20210808_050813.jpg

Nice job. We've got some foxes around here, but our main problem is groundhogs. Solution for them is the .22 or .17 HMR.

I've been dicing with a fox that is killing chickens every night on a free range egg production unit. I finally worked out a pattern of its movements and found the weak link. So at 4am I was at its get away place.
At 4:20am the wind shifted just as the forecast indicated.
At 4;39am a dark shape in the dim light appeared and moving fast towards me.
As the 10g came up it also winded me and bolted. It was to dark for a running shot.
So, I had a gun loaded with 2oz of #4 buck in each barrel. Nothing for it but to go pigeon shooting for crop protection.
Amazingly the two buckshot loads got two birds down from the get go!
It was a slow session but good. I also invited a friend along who chuckled everytime the 10g went off.
View attachment 88828
Eventually the rain got bad so we quit.
Better go clean the gun now....
great job! you will get that fox

Back