• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Birmingham proof marks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you guys know about these Birmingham proof marks? How might it date an English gun? Did they have anything to do with the Ketland family? I’ve read some about them, but getting some conflicting info. Were they more common on “civilian” guns? - thanks, Andy
IMG_7521.jpeg

What do you guys know about these Birmingham proof marks? How might it date an English gun? Did they have anything to do with the Ketland family? I’ve read some about them, but getting some conflicting info. Were they more common on “civilian” guns? - thanks, AndyView attachment 357929
The Marks are not Birmingham they are the Govt Tower pier mark for Commercial guns not Ordnance they would have the one but additional Crown GR mark . The Brum proof is post 1814 or so when it was set up. What Ketlands input no idea without research .The evidently new marks are deemed ' fake' . and would be prosecuted in UK . Nice looking gun choose what .
Rudyard

Hi,
As Rudyard wrote, they are private Tower proof marks. Gun makers could pay the Tower to have their barrels proofed rather than send them to the London Guild proof house. These marks have often been misidentified as early Birmingham marks or as Ketland proof marks.

dave

Hi,
As Rudyard wrote, they are private Tower proof marks. Gun makers could pay the Tower to have their barrels proofed rather than send them to the London Guild proof house. These marks have often been misidentified as early Birmingham marks or as Ketland proof marks.

dave
Yes that Rudyard's not as silly as he looks Thanks Dave
.Regards Rudyard

Agreed with above and they are also a bit oversized.
There hand cuts the sizes did varie, If any we don't drive them as hard as they did but they had wrought iron, that barrels probably steel and they really' bopped 'the mark might also have had a jig or just did it every working day . I wasn't their But have observed many such as we all do.
Rudyard

There hand cuts the sizes did varie, If any we don't drive them as hard as they did but they had wrought iron, that barrels probably steel and they really' bopped 'the mark might also have had a jig or just did it every working day . I wasn't their But have observed many such as we all do.
Rudyard
Well last night they appeared to look 3/4" tall each : )
Hadn't had a drop I promise. Of course I'm usually always looking at the forum on my phone, glasses on and I usually expand everything to see it.

Latest posts

Back