• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bismuth Availability and Use

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fellow who made the bismuth shot for reloading died and it is almost impossible to find now other than some loaded ammunition. You can get a Littleton Shotmaker, buy the bismuth and tin from Rotometals and make your own. The bismuth and tin are not cheap nor is the shotmaker. You can get Hevi Shot from ballistics Products for just under $160.00 for 7 lbs. I am down to my last bottle of bismuth so I had better up my scoring percentages. When it is gone I plan to go to Hevi Shot. You can load by weight instead of volume and drop down a couple of shot sizes because of the individual pellets being heavier and still maintain pattern density.

What RB said. I use a plastic shot cup when hunting waterfowl anyway so it doesn't really matter to me. When playing at the range or hunting upland birds, squirrels, or rabbits I shoot lead shot bare bore. You have to make some accommodation for the lack of bismuth right now or forget waterfowl hunting.

Hevi-shot now has a product called Hevi-shot Classic Doubles.
http://www.hevishot.com/products_doubles.html

I have not tried it yet, but the claims are it would be safe in our fowlers. It is only available in per-loaded modern round and it is as you can guess ****EXPENSIVE****.

Just another option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot geese ocassionally with my 20ga. fowler. 80gr. 3F, 1 1/8oz. Bismuth #4 (no wad). I've never shot at one past 25 yards, but inside that it kills 'em very dead

Latest posts

Back