• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Bear hunting load question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phoenix, I've never hunted bear but I have done a lot of hog hunting. I would use the stoutest load that I felt comfortable with. Last season I killed a big hog that weighed well over 200 lbs. I was using my 54 cal Hawken loaded with a round ball in front of 110 grs of 2f Goex. The ball went clean through the critter and it still went nearly 100 yards before it gave up the ghost. More is better when it comes to critters that could get nasty when you tick him off.

I kill deer with a .45 cal. rb using a 65 gr. charge of bp. More than adequate for whitetails.
However, what you are asking about is light, IMHO, for black bears. I have never shot one but read anything about bears that comes my way. Punching through the thick fur, thick and tough hide, thick layer of fat, muscle, and bone takes some serious whompability. With my .54 Jaeger using a rb I'll go no less than 75 gr. and probably more like 90-100 gr.

I've killed 7 black bears in 7 shots!

4 with flintlock rifles from 54-62 caliber.

I use 90-100 grains of blackpowder and a patched round ball.

Shot placement is very important!

Although i've been lucky enough to not loose one, I've been on hunts when someone else in the hunting party wounds one!

Take my word for it, It's not fun looking for a wounded black bear in the dark with a muzzleloader!

In my opinion, more is better when after bear!

SC45-70

Finally got a chance to get out this morning and run some through the T/C. I ended up with a workable load for the round balls at 90 grains. Think this is close enough.
026-Copy.jpg

On the way into the woods this morning I found this in the middle of the road next to a patch of blackberries.
010.jpg

Things are looking better all the time for fall.

Nice shooting!

Now run around the block a couple times and get your heart rate elevated and see how well you can shoot, cause thats how you are going to feel the first time you see a bear! As a matter of fact I've hade had a couple guys tell me that they could hear their heart beating when they first saw a bear!
:thumbsup:

SC45-70

Think--- 45-70. It is better to hit the bear in the heart with 70 grns than to hit him in the foot with 100 grs. Use the most accurate load.
All a muzzle loaded does is make a hole in them anyway. The bullit does not explode like a modern gun. Take a backup gun.

Back