• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Cow Horn, Silver Mounted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a few nearly all black cow horns a while back. (Are these as hard to find as I think? I would like to work with more of them but can't find any good ones.) At any rate, this one has silver rings and an turned antler tip. I wanted to be able to change out the tips without messing up the horn, so I machined a brass insert for both the tip and the horn.

BlackHorn1-1.jpg

BlackHorn2-1.jpg

Blackhorn4-1.jpg

BlackHorn9.jpg

BlackHorn7.jpg

BlackHorn8.jpg

Did you turn the wood threads on a Lathe??
They are very clean cut--great job.

Mike C.

Wick,

I normally don't like black horns either...but I had this one so I thought I would give it a try.....?

I am a great admirer of your work ! Thanks.

Dave C

Mike C,

The male threads were cut with a die for threading wood dowels and the matching tap was used for the female threads. The die works well if the cutting blade is VERY sharp and shaped properly, which is not easy to do (for me). Sometimes I do it well and sometimes I have to fight it for quite some time until I get it right.

Dave C

DaveC2
Thanks for the reply. Good job.
By the way I'm in Groveland about 20
miles from the west gate going into
Yosemite NP.

Mike C.

MSW,

The silver parts are held in place with silver rivets that are installed and sealed with pitch before the base plug is installed.

DaveC2

Latest posts

Back