• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

black powder can spout

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Where, other than Cains, can I buy the metal or plastic can spouts used to powder from the "old fashion metal" cans directly into the powder measure?
Thanks

someone had told me about how they would solder a brass shell case on an old screw on Lid Just a thought, I intend to try it myself when I empty my next goex can. I will use a 30/30 shell cut off the base where the primer goes with a tubing cutter, cut tabs in an alternating pattern like on HVAC duct work fold into the hole in the cap and solder the case into the cap. I am told this works since the case is brass I will try soon and post it on the forum.

I drilled a hole in a old powder can cap then soldered a piece of 3/8" OD tubing. Then you can make a wooden plug for it. Safe to use on the range because you don't have a open can of powder. :thumbsup:

A lot of .30-06 military brass has been " sacrificed " to make "funnels " for the caps on BP cans. I hope the new plastic containers will use the same thread size as these lids.

Button,
You got it right, except don't cut off the cartridge rim. Drill the hole in the cap to just fit the body of the case and then use the case rim as a soldering point to put them together. JB Weld also will hold the case into the cap.
MArk

dustystones said:
Where, other than Cains, can I buy the metal or plastic can spouts used to powder from the "old fashion metal" cans directly into the powder measure?
Thanks
I think I got mine at October Country...been a long time ago.
A screw on cap with a length of brass tubing soldered on top...I use a snug fitting rubber end cap to slide on and off as a seal...got that at an auto parts store.

Goex3FRubberSpoutStopper-1.jpg

You will have to drill a hole in case for powder to flow tru, right? I use to buy these from Tom Pike for 25 cents, still have one left. Dilly

I have made several of them using various sized cartridge cases that are drilled out through the primer hole to the size of the internal walls. Then drill a hole in the can cap that is a snug fit and solder the case in place.

Boar,
Yep, you got it right. The other thing I have used for the pout is a nylon ore guide. Mount it the same way as the cartridge case.
Mark

I just cut off the bottom of a .223 case and soldered it into a old cap from a Goex can. Best of all, a 9mm case fits tight on the neck and provides an airtight cap for the can. Cheap and easy.

Stonecreek outfitters carries them as well. They even have a contraption for competition shooters that clamps to the shooting table, holds the can upside down and the spout has a spring release.

Rifleball36 said:
Then you can make a wooden plug for it. Safe to use on the range because you don't have a open can of powder. :thumbsup:

Instead of plugging the hole time after time, I just place my inverted powder measure on the spout. That stops any sparks short of an explosion, in which case my day would be pretty well ruined anyway.

On mine that are soldered on .223's or something similar, the end is plugged with a .22 rimfire case that just fits inside the centerfire neck. :thumbsup: Necessity is the mother of invention.
See ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

dustystones said:
Thanks

I've been making them for many years. All you have to do is drill a hole in the lid and solder in a center fire casing with the primer hole open.( I use old 8mm berdien primed since they can not be reloaded.) I also solder on a second lid on the side of the casing, That way I always have both the spout and a sealable lid. Just remember to remove the cardboard before soldering and replace it after.

Same idea here except that I solder in a 22 Hornet case... a fiddle tuning peg makes a very nice stopper too.

Back