• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder in New Jersey?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy black powder after a long time out of the hobby. The local place I used to get it from is no longer in business. I could go to Dixon's in Kempton PA but I really don't feel like driving 2+ hours. Is there any shops that still have it in south Jersey? Or even near Philly or Delaware? I figured maybe Cabelas or Bass Pro shops but their website only lists Pyrodex. Thanks.

Unfortunately no. I'm told by LGS's that state requirements for retailers are too onerous. PA is best option.

I stopped at Dixon's after the Gun Makers Fair, paid $47 for a pound of Goex 3f. I am seriously looking into making my own. If your interested look up Everything Black on the Tube.

I've heard from a couple shooters at a local club that Cameron's Ace hardware in Oxford PA has schuetzen. Id call them first before making the trip, as my info was last Fall. Maybe not any closer than Dixon's, but the past couple times I stopped at Dixon's the prices seemed a little high to me.

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy black powder after a long time out of the hobby. The local place I used to get it from is no longer in business. I could go to Dixon's in Kempton PA but I really don't feel like driving 2+ hours. Is there any shops that still have it in south Jersey? Or even near Philly or Delaware? I figured maybe Cabelas or Bass Pro shops but their website only lists Pyrodex. Thanks.
Targetmaster on Rt. 202 just north of the Delaware line used to stock i and may still; it's a gun shop & range, and when GOEX folded up, there was a rush on BP. The fellows who work there have to have a license to handle BP, and they must drive to their distributor in PA to pick it up. Call them, Targetmaster in Chadds Ford, Pa. and they have a physical location nearby in DE to do DE transfers. (Thankfully GOEX is back up under the Estes people!) I bet prices are not what they were prior to covid and unrest of a couple years back. If you go to DE, the Hagley Museum has the old DuPont gunpowder museum & tour! :)They have literal tons of modern un-mentionable ammo!

Can also try Wellington Sporting Goods in Souderton PA. That's definitely a call first...the owner is semi-retired and may or may not be open. Very old school shop, I believe cash only. He's had Goex in the past.

I know of a couple of small FFLs that have gone under recently; the economy, and "they" will put pressure on guys due to lack of much business and zoning issues. I appreciate any FFL, as the taxes and legal hassles involved require a really dedicated businessman who loves the merchandise!

Not New Jersey, but left New York 30 years ago…..

Even here in North Carolina, I find the LGSs just aren’t carrying black powder much any more. Don’t know if that’s because of regulation or maybe internet competition. My most recent black powder purchase was back in June from Graf and Sons. Free Hazmat (4 pounds or more) and free shipping with any $150 minimum purchase. Just have to keep an eye out or get on email lists if interested and local regulations allow delivery.

I’ll purchase from any LGS if not too far out of the way and price is at least somewhat competitive to help support them, but hard to justify paying a 50% or so premium. And then it will depend on how much gas you want to burn.

No black powder in NJ, if you want some NJtaxes i can help you find those easily

Back