• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Large Granules

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zarraboy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Golf ball cannon on which i have always used commercial black powder. I have just finished my first batch of homemade granulated black powder. However, due to a too large sieve i used, i ended up with two different batches of powder , in terms of granule size: One lot with granules ranging from 2-4mm and another with large granules ranging from 5-8mm. I am pretty sure i can use the small granules on my cannon, but what about the large granules? Can i still use them? If not, how would you guys grind them to a smaller size?
Thank you!

We aren't talking about making black powder, we are talking about reducing grain size (which has often come up in discussions of priming or FFFFg powder).

Sure. I was just warning here. BIG statement uup top of posts. And (though not a PHD) I would consider the finalization of grain size MAKING black powder. Reply or not, my concern has been voiced and I am now silenced.

BTW I agree with your reply.

I'm concerned that one has knowledge of how to make BP....but does not have knowledge of how it functions.... :hmm: :td:
I think this topic needs moderator involvement.

Think "Rolling Pin".
You can use a round bottle or jar as a "rolling" device.
Lay out several layers of newspaper, pour powder on it, fold over, use your rolling pin until you get what you want

Black Hand said:
From all I have read, it isn't difficult.

Apparently, from reading all the responses including the OP's original post...it is difficult.

Especially when you don't know what you're doing.... :doh: :doh:

No one has given the correct response yet.... :shake:

colorado clyde said:
No one has given the correct response yet.... :shake:
OK - I'll bite...
What is the correct response (according to you)?

I suspect I already know...

Thanks for those who replied constructively. I tried a mortar and pestle gently but, as pointed, got fine powder instead. I think i will go on and use the large 8mm granules and shoot. Long fuse and shelter.

nhmoose said:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/229301/
Once again, no one has discussed the making of black powder....

Also, keep in mind the OP does not live in the USA - regulations may differ.

Correct. I simply asked if i could use the larger 8mm sized granules, if that was safe or not.

It's a golf ball cannon....So the bore diameter is what? 1.5"...1.75"?

Powder granulation size of his powder is running from 2f to blasting grade...

Even with my limited knowledge, the answer is obvious.

The problem in answering the question is dancing around not discussing the making process...Knowing the physical properties of what you're making is essential.

Homemade powder can vary greatly in strength...depending on how it's made, it can reach pressure levels of modern smokeless powder...Even back in the day they had powder testers....

Back