• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Linguistic Pet Peeves

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Playing with words is one of the most tiresome aspects of the easily amused ‘bring my childhood with me into adulthood’ modern life. Changing spelling and combining words into new ones forsooth. Making ‘black powder shooting’ into ‘blooting” or whatever. I’d rather shoot glitter out of my Smoothbore while wearing clown shoes and a giant foam sombrero at a thread counter’s rendezvous.

Boolits.....:rolleyes:
GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!
Off to Hobby Lobby and the the Halloween closeout store!
New Years Eve is going to be FUN again!

since I shoot almost any thing that goes BANG or BOOM so my friends know what iI am using to make BANG or BOOM my cap fired guns are "percussion' the unmentionables are katridge guns.
Powder is either smokessomewhatless or plain Gunpowder (which is what Du Pont called it) in different F's.
A long gun is a rifle or carbine, shotguns are street howitzers and handguns are ...well handguns.
I shoot almost no synthetic powder except for APP when plinking because the clean up is so simple.
I do not like Pyrodex777, Blackhorn or any of those so called substitute powders.
For me that is like calling Carolina river bottom corn liquor aged in the jug a substitute for single barrel 25 year old Scotch. whiskey.
Rant completed...for now.
Bunk
P.S. I been shooting this stuff since corrosive caps, original guns, and Du Pont Gunpowder in the oval can.
I did not just come rolling into this settlement on a load of turnips.

I guess whatever gets the message accross. I think I like it all. Flintch lock is my favorite. I really hate following rules (with safety being the one exception)
I don't make rules especially among friends. I'm always looking for a new way to skin a cat whether it's wood working, mechanical or just paying the bills. History is full of words made up by people who just shortened a phrase. And some? I have no idea where they came from. Like "Frizzen" (or that sparky thingy) I know sombody knows. Let's see what pops up.
Neil
I am told in GB it is called the HAMMER
But being from Texas my British is not good. English just so-so Cuss words I have down pat.
Which is not a slam at the Irish please.
Bunk

I am told in GB it is called the HAMMER
But being from Texas my British is not good. English just so-so Cuss words I have down pat.
Which is not a slam at the Irish please.
Bunk
Being from a long long line of Irish cussers I can tell you, we know all the important cuss words by 7 or 8

One of my pet peeves is when even so called “experts” call any firearm that uses black powder a ‘muzzle loader’. I was reading an article in a popular gun rag about a black powder revolver using a conversion cylinder. The Author said something like, “ to convert it back to a muzzle loader...” Your killing me, Smalls!

I’m in the medical field. We use medical terminology, mostly based on Latin.
Cervix, neck, your neck for a cervical injury, or the neck of of a uterus for cervical cancer.
Some women and a few men get a mastectomy, masti, or mastoid refers to the breast, unless it’s the mastoid behind your ear.
People respond to stimuli ( I think stimulus has been in the news of late) stimuli are a small wood spear, stuck by the thousands in a ditch around a camp to keep it from suddenly being overrun. You might get a sinus infection, that’s not to bad in your nose, very bad if if it’s around your sinus node in your heart

I’m in the medical field. We use medical terminology, mostly based on Latin.
Cervix, neck, your neck for a cervical injury, or the neck of of a uterus for cervical cancer.
Some women and a few men get a mastectomy, masti, or mastoid refers to the breast, unless it’s the mastoid behind your ear.
People respond to stimuli ( I think stimulus has been in the news of late) stimuli are a small wood spear, stuck by the thousands in a ditch around a camp to keep it from suddenly being overrun. You might get a sinus infection, that’s not to bad in your nose, very bad if if it’s around your sinus node in your heart
Olecranial!!

So, another thread gave me the idea for this'n, so why hold back? It's 'Hump Day'..... What are your pet peeves when it comes to postmodern traditional muzzleloading lingo? Do you go full Jojoba-oiled-beard hipster and call it a 'rocklock' or does that seem somehow sacreligious as you scratch your dried out whiskers? Is it a 'smoothie' or a 'fowling piece'? The 'Holy Black'? Is 'Capgun' cowardly straddling the fence? How about the Elmer Fudd-y 'Smokepole'? Do modern euphemisms get under your skin? Do you see it as the cost of bringing young folk into the fold? Or are you a Geezers-be-durned youngun yourself? Are you a traditional traditionalist or are you leaving all that sawdust floor 'Texas Two-Step' in your 'Technotronic' label-everything-carcinogenic wake? Where do you fall??? Be honest, it's Christmas......

I always thought the term “ round balls “ was redundant. Why not just say “ ball “, or “ balls “?
What other kinds of balls are there?

I have a black dog, but no peeves with this pet.
20210104_091131(0).jpg

20210104_091130.jpg

20210104_092743.jpg

I think the round ball thing came out of ball ammunition in the military, not to be confused with armor pericing.
Often pill is used in the old days.
Hold it.
Ball is weighed in grains. Used to be medication was in grains. Five grains to an aspirin pill, or half a grain of morphine.
A .50 weighs about as much as thirty six aspirin. I guess properly placed it could knock out a head ache

Don't guess I ever really thought about it. I will say I'm headin' out with my Longrifle, Squirrel gun, Trade Gun etc depending ion which gun I am taking.

I always thought the term “ round balls “ was redundant. Why not just say “ ball “, or “ balls “?
What other kinds of balls are there?
You just had to ask eh???? Not all of mine are round.......
Look at the "ball" round the military shoots from a %$^#.
It not round either....
And no, I do not know why they call it "ball"

How does .45 Hardball perform:
  • 230-grain projectile loaded to an average chamber pressure of about 21,000 psi.
  • Nominal muzzle velocity of between 800 and 900 fps.
  • Typically penetrates to around 30 inches in 10 percent ordnance gelatin.

Back