• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfish

36 Cal.
Reaction score
When I first joined the forum many of you suggested I use REAL black powder rather than Pyrodex or 777. Now that the smoke as clear :rotf: and I have some idea of what I'm doing :shocked2: and that I kind of like this muzzle loader thing, I'm thinking it's time to try the real stuff. Sooooo, what are the benefits of using black powder over the subsitutes? What are the negatives of using black powder? What else do I need to know about this stuff?
Is cleaning after using black powder easier ,harder or about the same as the other stuff?
I will be starting with Goex FFG and will be using it in my Lyman Great Plains Hunter in 50cal.

Thanks

First of all, I think the primary advantage of black powder is the satisfaction of knowing you're in the same boat as your forefathers.

An advantage of BP over a substitute is that it is more sensitive to ignition, and in flintlocks, this is critical, as the powder in the pan needs to catch a spark and the main charge needs to be ignited by gases going through a touch hole. On the whole, BP is more reliably ignited.

As far as cleaning, I've never used a substitute, but I would think they would be easier; I think 55% of black powder turns into fouling, whereas only 45% turns into useful gases.

Real black powder is indeed easier to ignite than any sub I've tried . As to clean-up I don't see that the subs are that much better to clean, they are easier to load when shooting a long string of shots without wiping between shots , howeverif you wipe between shots your bore will stay consistant . One advantage of the subsitute powders is the availability in smaller gun shops since they don't have to be stored in a fire proof safe like black powder...................watch yer top knot............

If you buy in bulk, it's way cheaper than substitutes.

Substitutes don't have the shelf life of blackpowder. You can store blackpowder indefinitely and it will tolerate humidity better if need be than substitutes.

longrifle89 said:
As far as cleaning, I've never used a substitute, but I would think they would be easier...
I've used both, and they clean up about equal.

What they said. Also if you use a good lube and patch you can shoot all day without wiping; though I generally swab out the bore after 30-40 shots (that's pretty much "all day" for me). Bp cleans up with water quite easily, produces lower pressures than subs and is an "accuracy" powder. I've had modern handguns that shot their best only when loaded with black powder. Besides that it just "feels right".

longrifle89 said:
First of all, I think the primary advantage of black powder is the satisfaction of knowing you're in the same boat as your forefathers.

An advantage of BP over a substitute is that it is more sensitive to ignition, and in flintlocks, this is critical, as the powder in the pan needs to catch a spark and the main charge needs to be ignited by gases going through a touch hole. On the whole, BP is more reliably ignited.

As far as cleaning, I've never used a substitute, but I would think they would be easier; I think 55% of black powder turns into fouling, whereas only 45% turns into useful gases.

I agree with attempting to use the same thing our fore-fathers used. Your using the same type rifle, why not the powder too? And no, you don't have to go as far as dressing in buck-skins, which was not even common dress.

As far as the subs, I've only used Pyrodex and it doesn't clean up as readily as BP.

The price is cheaper for real BP if purchased in bulk. Sources are: Powder, INC, Maine Powder House, Track of Wolf, Dixie, and a few others.

I've used all of them BP,Pyrodex and 777,by far the BP has been the best for several reasons,I think that BP cleans easier,less corrosive than pyrodex (my opinion) and since I'm shooting flinters a good bit now I'll use it only in my percussions and flinters,the inline (sorry) will get 777 untill I have time to work up a chronograohed load with BP then I'll use only BP :thumbsup: I've been getting my BP from backcreek gun shop @ a good price ,they'll ship 10lbs too http://www.blackpowderva.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are shooting a cap lock, and I suppose you are, cause you have no business using subs in a flintlock, Pyrodex and BP are interchangeable. You will notice little if any difference.

Triple 7 is more expensive than Goex, especially if you buy more than 5 pounds at a time but you can find it at nearly all gunshops, much easier to purchase than Goex. You may also notice more patches being burned through with T-7 because it burns a bit hotter, which you don't normally see with Goex. Cleanup for me is about the same. You will not have nearly as many ignition problems with Goex as you might have when using T-7. You may want to keep in mind that for best accuracy you will need to try 3f Goex as well. My .54 likes 2f while my .50 needs 3f.

I too started shooting with T7 in the beginning. I now shoot a Flint rifle, so BP is a must. For general range shooting or rendezvous, I use BP in all my muzzleloaders. If I am hunting with my caplock, I use T7. Only because of the reduced corrosion if cleaning is not easily performed in a reasonable amount of time. Or if I shoot and reload, but do not discharge again. This way I can leave a loaded and fouled barrel for the duration of my hunt. If I know my schedule will not let me perform adaquate cleaning after a shoot, I will use my caplock with T7. Sometimes we BBQ after the shoot and I get home quite late and may not be able to clean for a few days. So to me, not having to worry about getting all that sulphur out of my gun right away is more than enough reason to use T7 instead of BP. I see no difference in cleaning effort between T7 and BP.

2ELK said:
So to me, not having to worry about getting all that sulphur out of my gun right away is more than enough reason to use T7 instead of BP.

I can tell you from personal experience that leaving your gun dirty for a couple of days (even after shooting black powder) won't hurt your gun in any significant way.

Thanks everyone for all the info, as always you have been very heplful. :hatsoff:

Back