• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearbeater

36 Cal.
Reaction score
hey
I cant buy blackpowder any more!! I guess you need a background check to purchase and only a few places in a 70 mile radius. what sub is the closes to real BP. I am ****** I have a magazine in my home and has been years since I bought any. Please advise.
Bearbeater

Here in NC I only show my drivers license and sign for the purchase. I have never heard of a background check to buy BP. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Go to the index page, and to member resources, and scroll down to " links" click on them, and look up powder suppliers. You can order directly from these suppliers. Graf & sons, and Powder, inc. will sell you small quantities of BP ( 5 lbs. ) at some discount, but you get the best price ordering it by the case( 25 lbs.) Go in with other shooters to place a group order to cut down on how much money you personally have to lay out for each order. There is a Haz Mat fee of $20.00 per shipment, so its cheaper to order more powder than smaller amounts. Since all BP shooters are in the same boat, row together! :thumbsup: Unless you are a convicted felon, or have a domestic violence conviction, I don't see any reason why you should worry about a criminal history background check. The NIX check is done on firearm purchases only, and is done by phone. Since the Feds require a 2-day wait ( cooling off period) for long guns, and a 3 day wait for handguns, there is plenty of time for the dealers to do the check over the phone. No such check is required for black powder. Some states do consider MLers to be the same as modern rifles and handguns, however. ( Illinois is one, California is another.)

In Michigan, you have a state handgun possession permit system, that requires you to have a permit to possess issued by the sheriff or local LEA before buying a handgun. I don't recall now if you also have to register the handgun with the cops or not.

Have it delivered right to your door from Powder Inc., Graff & Sons...etc. There's a few online sellers.

HD

try the flint& frizzen in clarkston MI.
they usually keep some on hand no background check
needed-dgb

In Michigan, the only restriction on purchase of black powder, real or synthetic, is age. There is no background check required.

Where in Michigan do you live and we can probably find a place to get it. Of course, some parts of Michigan are a long drive to the grocery store, so don't expect it to be next door.

Why do you say can't you buy it?

Paul - Michigan requires a handgun purchase permit to buy a handgun. Then within 10 days of receiving the permit you must take the gun to a local law enforcement official (usually the local sheriff's office) and have a 'safety inspection' done; this results in a 3 part green 'inspection' record being filled out which contains your name and address and the gun's particulars, including serial number. The state keeps two parts and gives you one. It's not technically a registration system, but, a rose by any other name.... I understand this 'safety inspection' will no longer be required next year, but I can't find the details on line.

Thanks for the correction, McKeal. I knew they had some kind of backdoor registration scheme, but could not remember the details. I am glad to hear its coming off the books. It didn't exactly prevent the bad guys in Detroit from making that city the Murder Capitol of the US for several years. What has reduced the murders in the Motor City has been Michigan's adoption of a permit to carry law, which has let honest citizens be armed. This has been an effective deterrent to the kind of lawlessness that has gone on in Detroit for decades. Last year, even the Mayor, and the Anti-gun-owner, Chief of police, announced publicly that they had been wrong- that instead of more senseless shootings in the city, the adoption of the state-wide permit to carry ( shall issue) system had actually lead to a substantial reduction in crime in the city( and the state). I have followed this trend, because I have friends and distant family in Michigan, and because here in Illinois, one of only 2 remaining states without a permit to carry law, have been collecting data from other states close to Illinois with these kinds of reductions in "big City " crime.

We do have to suffer with Chicago's crime statistics, and their anti-gun laws, that only disarm victims. Chicago accounts for more than 80% of all the homicides committed in Illinois. Cook County, which includes Chicago, accounts for a full 85% of all homicides for the state, and we have 101 OTHER counties in the state that together account for the other 15%. Chicago, and Cook County have the most restrictive gun ordinances in the state, while lawful gun ownership in the rest of the state is widespread.

So, congratulations to Michigan for getting rid of a paper work system that accomplished NOTHING in preventing crime, or the bad guys from getting guns. It was intended, and designed to delay the purchase of handguns by law abiding citizens, to discourage gun ownership, and it did accomplish that. But, for interested shooters, it just gave them the resolve to own more guns, so I don't think a " reduction in the number of guns in society" ( one of the state goals of the anti-gun Brady Group, and others) ever occurred.

With the large Shoot held at Kalamazoo, Michigan, every summer, there has to be a lot of retail shops in the SW corner of Michigan that sell Black Powder. I am happy to see responses above that give specific names of stores, already. I hope this poster will get involved in the NMLRA, where he can find the contact information for NMLRA Charter clubs in his state, and then get involved with his local clubs. I found several people in my club who had experience building guns, or equipment, and they were a great help to me when I began putting together my gear. My club also put together an annual order for powder- although back then we drove to a distributor and picked up all the powder, and it was more than 2 cases, usually!--for the membership. The club owned a case of powder to sell to new members and to older members who ran short, as we also didn't have a local retailer that carried black powder, due to Illinois state regulations. Sometimes a can of powder showed up as a " prize" for a monthly shoot,too. The first year I was involved with the powder order, we bought it from the distributor for $2.90 per pound, and sold it to the members for $3.00 per pound. The difference went into the club's meager treasury.

If your not too far from BayCity, try Duncans, on Salzburg. I haven`t gotten any there myself but heard they have it. Also Williams Gunshop in Auburn told me they are working on getting the license and will be selling BP in the spring.
Seems like ya have to be a detective to find the stuff anymore. I`m still working on a stash I bought along time ago, but will be needing more soon. The place I used to get it from is now out of business. I have`nt heard of a background check needed to buy it.

The question in my mind is why bearbeater would worry about a background check? While I don't like 'em, I don't worry about 'em. :hmm: :v

bearbeater said:
hey
I cant buy blackpowder any more!! I guess you need a background check to purchase and only a few places in a 70 mile radius. what sub is the closes to real BP. I am ****** I have a magazine in my home and has been years since I bought any. Please advise.
Bearbeater

I like the Pyrodex. I use the RS. Here in Oregon it is cheaper then "Real BP" and redily avail. I cant find any faults with its functionality. :2

Some guns don't work worth a damn with anything but black powder. Depending on the nipple and type of drum your rifle has it may work very well with the new subs as long as it is a cap lock. If you are able to install a hot shot nipple and use CCI #11 mag caps most rifles will shoot very well. I like Triple seven 2F in my two TC Hawken rifles. They will both shoot heavy hunting charges and Hornady great plains bullets into one hole at 50 yards. Due to the nipple that the TC Seneca comes with, mine works better with Goex 2F and my 32 Cherokee hasn't been fed anything but Goex 3F. I do have some American Pioneer 2F & 3F that was just given to me. I've tried the American Pioneer 2F in my Hawkens before and it shot ok. Doesn't give the higher vel of the triple seven 2F, but it shoots good. Around here there are a lot of people who really like the American Pioneer powder. I just have not shot enough of it to cause me to change from a tack driving set up with triple seven. May be after playing with this free powder I'll change my mind in the future. Some really like pyrodex also, been a pretty long time since I had a can of it. Haven't tried it in any of my current rifles.
Even if you do find some black powder, you should try one of the subs to see if your rifle will work with it. May come a time when they will be all we will be allowed to have.

Both of my rifles are percussion sidelocks, and both ignite more reliably if loaded with the real thing. Especialy if left loaded for several days, like during hunting season. Pyrodex seeems to hangfire alot. I do sometimes use it when range shooting though becuase it fouls the bore alot less. For me, Pyrodex is ok in a pinch, but I prefer the real thing.

Mykeal'
On Thursday July 10, 2008 Gov.
Granholm signed senate bill 370, and house bills 4490 and 4491.
these will remove the cumbersome post purchase "safety Inspections" and will go into effect imediately. They also state that you do not need to apear in person for registration but can send by 1st class mail or certified letter within the 10 period or be subject to fine up to $250. I just typed in the words "Michigan gun bills" on my browser to find this info.

Bearbeater where do you live? I can give you the address of a West Michigan distributer of of BP
or a couple of other locations. I just bought a pound for less than 20 bucks in Hastings.

Just generally, to no one in particular: Why do we even have a Constitution? I've got a copy right here at my desk, and I'm not sure I can find a single right that isn't currently abrogated in some way. :(

Background check for powder... Lawdy, lawdy... :shake:

Thanks, Poor Private. I'm a MCRGO member, and I know they had it on the web site but I couldn't find it. I recalled that it had a Jan 09 effective date; I still had to do the 'safety inspection' thing when I bought a S&W 60 back in August.

Homesteader - you missed the point. There is no background check required to buy black powder. I have no idea what bearbeater was talking about.

SgtSchutzen - yes, Duncan's does sell Goex and, I believe, Swiss. Don't know about KIK. And while you're there ask for a tour of their 50, 100 and 200 (!) yard indoor rifle range.

Two other places: C&L Sports Center, 7021 N. Lapeer Road (M24), Fostoria, MI and the Do-It-Best Hardware and Garden Center in Lincoln, MI.

Bob's gun shop in Hastings, the Jag shop in Otsego, On Target in Kazoo thats the suppliers I use for Black powder. There is none available any place in Grand Rapids. Just the synthetic.

Guys I live in NE Indiana and will need to be getting some powder. If we want to go in and get some, count me in :thumbsup: Andrew

Kelhammer said:
Guys I live in NE Indiana and will need to be getting some powder. If we want to go in and get some, count me in :thumbsup: Andrew

Make you way to Friendship, Indiana in the summer for the annual M/L shoots. They'll have real BP for sale.

God willing I will be there. I hope to see a good turn out, I have not been to Friendship since the late 80's

Back