• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riley/MN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How would one go about producing a BLACK stain on wood? Thinking not of a rifle stock, but on hawk handles. Thanks.

riley /mn:{

you could always try india ink, a couple of coats should make it quite black :results:

It's not P.C but I use ebony wood stain from the hardware store.

I'd used an ebony stain thinned with mineral spirits. Wipe it on then off and let dry for 10 minutes and repeat until you get the look you want. There are 2 types of ebony. Solid black and black with some brown graining. I'd think you'd want some wood grain to come through on the hawks.

Go to the art department of Hobby Lobby or Wally World. Buy a bottle of black arcrellic water based craft paint and thin it until it meets your needs.

I have also used black spray paint and steel wooled it back to the texture I desired.

:front:

Riley, I like my ramrods to be black and the best results I've found is just to burn it with a torch. After burning, I rub them down with bear grease while they're still hot and this helps the grease work into the wood and the grease (oil) carries the loose charcoal produced into the grain. You don't need to burn it much to get any shade you want from a rosewood to an ebony look.

Cody

I agree a torch would work good for this. Some folks say to do that to stocks too but I did not care for the look it gave on a sample piece of wood that I would want to do a whole stock like that. Jim

Depends on the piece of wood. I did a refinish on a rifle for a new shooter. Wife didn't want to spend alot, and found a used rifle. Problem was that the thing was stained blaze orange! :: Took the torch to get it to look like wood!

Cody, you anwered my question and I was hoping for a happier answer. I just made a ramrod for my 14ga. perc. SxS. Now I need to stain and finish it. What do you suggest?

Dave, I burn my RR's with a torch and then rub them down with bear grease while still hot. I've been able to achieve anything from a rosewood to an ebony effect.

Cody

Back