• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black vs. Pyrodex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Mixing the two just plain don't work because the Pyrodex will "lessin" the power of the BP."

Doesn't that depend on which BP you use? From the many chronographed results I've seen Pyrodex outpaces most black powders (by volume of course).

I would tell junior that Pyrodex is fertilizer that we can shoot in our guns and that black powder is for our guns but can be used as fertilizer. :v

As for me and my house, pyrodex has no place in it, it's so corrosive, I've spent hours and hours cleaning up guns that had been fired with that stuff and not precisely cleaned right afterwards. :barf:

My answer is to let him read the back of a can of GOEX black powder.
#1 DANGER EXPLOSIVE:
#2 HANDLING PRECAUTIONS: DO NOT MIX THIS POWDER WITH ANY OTHER TYPE
#3 STORAGE PRECAUTIONS:
#4 DISPOSAL:

I can not tell you why, but do believe what
GOEX,INC. says on their can. :2

Don

Isn't Pyrodex smokeless powder with a major amount of burn inhibitors added to slow combustion? Seems that would explain why Pyrodex is harder to ignite.

Uh, no.

Pyrodex contains sulfur, potassium nitrate, charcoal and other stuff. The original patent for Pyrodex listed this:

45 parts of potassium nitrate
9 parts of charcoal
6 parts of sulfur
19 parts of potassium perchlorate
11 parts of sodium benzoate
6 parts of dicyanamide
1 to 4 parts of water

Pyrodex ingredients have changed somewhat over time.

The MSDS for Pyrodex:
http://www.pyrodex.com/PDF/MSDS Files/Muzzleloading/Pyrodex SDS Sheet-2013.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me I would not mix them in a sidelock muzzleloader. If it's a sinline then go for it. I don't know anything about t7, pyrodex or electricity so I don't mess with what I don't know about.

I think I do recall that the subs powders do deteriorate over time as well. How long does that take; I have no clue. Here in PA we can still get real black by the pound in some gun stores. It's all I use. I have tried other brands but Goex is what I like.

Walks with fire said:

I think I do recall that the subs powders do deteriorate over time as well. How long does that take; I have no clue. Here in PA we can still get real black by the pound in some gun stores. It's all I use. I have tried other brands but Goex is what I like.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I do know properly stored Pyrodex is good for at least 6 years. Had a can that long or more and it fired just fine for me in a caplock.

Adui said:
I do know properly stored Pyrodex is good for at least 6 years. Had a can that long or more and it fired just fine for me in a caplock.

I'll up the ante to 14 years. Confirmed over a chrono.

Good to know it keeps well as I have a couple GM drop-ins that are percussion that I bought as they were being discontinued. Got a .54 and a.58 still new in box. We have a flint only season here so they don't get used.

Anyone know if you can shoot Triple 7 safely in them?

i have used t7 in 3 different percussion rifles and it goes off with a big bang!. it don't take as much so if you use 70 of real black you only need about 55 of t7. the only draw back is the crud ring it leaves in the bottom of the barrel and its hard to get out. i would use it if i had to but its not my go to powder.

Walks with fire said:
Anyone know if you can shoot Triple 7 safely in them?

My principal hunting partner using nothing but T7 in all his cappers, including a GM drop-in 58 cal. Very impressive results, but pay attention to the directions to drop your charges.

You would probably be fine with using a few grains of black in the bottom as a kicker but mixing two dissimilar powders for the main charge could be risky not knowing how the burn rates would synchronize.
I used to use Pyrodex in my cap rifles and liked how it didn't build up as much fouling but gave up on shooting it in cold weather as it was hard to light even in a percussion gun.

Latest posts

Back