• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blackpowder bushytails

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Missouri's squirrel season opened last Saturday and I got these two that morning. I still had a load in my scattergun from the last day of turkey season so I figured I should put it to good use. Now all I need is to add a couple more to the pile so I can make a decent stink in a skillet.

For those of you who want the details, the fowler is a homemade contraption built by my friend, John Pruitt. It has a 42" 12 ga smoothbore Colerain barrel and left-handed large Siler lock.

My normal squirrel load is 65 gr FFF, 1 overpowder card, 1/4" lubed wad, paper shotcup with 1 oz #6 shot and an overshot card.

Darren

FirstSquirrelHunt2014_zps683b68a1.jpg

They will taste great with spice, a little wine, and a slow simmer......

The wine is to simmer with the squirrel. Then of course fill your glass with wine to toast the animal before enjoying.....

Yesterday was the first day of Spring squirrel season in Virginia. Went to a site near the Rappahannock River. Got one with my new Pedersoli 12 gauge percussion SXS shotgun shooting 70 grains 2F GOEX and 1 1/4 oz #4 lead shot. The sound of that thing going off in the woods was awesome! Going out next weeekend as well to get enough for a batch of chicken-fried squirrel.

Spring squirrel season is much too hot and "ticky" for me. But I do dearly love autumn squirreling with a flinter.

Back