• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blackpowder gobbler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyFlintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
This morning's hunt was awesome, my buddy Bill called in a big tom in thick cover, but he came in silent behind me to about 12ft. As he passed he turned with his head behind his body and I tried to get the gun around on him. He made a little sprint behind the brush and I chose not to body shoot him... I slipped back out this eve and called up this gobbler to 10 yards before laying the hammer down on him with "Ol Betsy". That smoke drifting across the Kansas landscape was mighty pretty indeed!

wessV_Kansas_Mloader.jpg

wessv_Kansas_Mloader2.jpg

20.5lbs
10.5" beard
1 1/8" spur
90gr FF Powder and 90gr of #5 shot

Good luck if you are after them!
Wess

Outstanding! Great hunt! Good shot! Love the pictures! How exciting..Congratulations on a beautiful bird! Your smiling face say's it all!

Way to go Wess, congratulations !!

(we wear the same 18" Grange boots...not HC but outstanding !)

Nice bird......Congrats :thumbsup: Good lookin twice barrel too!

My first harvest with a ML, was a big old Tom.Back in the late 70's with a CVA Mountain Rifle 50 cal, roundball load.

The weather was warm and sunny that morn.,and the night before I had read an article in Outdoor Life, about using a ballpoint pen as a call.

Morning of the hunt, there I was wearing a T shirt, bluejeans, and sneakers....sucking on the bottom half of a ballpoint pen. :grin: I finally managed to make sound, that sounded more like a dying calf in a hail storm, than a turkey, but after a few attempts, I heard a gobble, and a few more squawks.......got my Tom!I swear fellas....True story :)

Wouldn't it have been as satisfying if you got him with a tight-choked smokeless repeater at 50 yards?

HEAVENS NO !!! Way to go on a great trophy! Was he gobbling much? Spittin' and drummin'? :thumbsup:

Back