• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blackpowder pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have hunted deer with a ML pistol. I have not got one yet tho. It's tough with only a 3-day season when ML pistols are legal for deer hunting in Illinois. Late winter antlerless-only season.

Our goofy laws don't allow ML pistols during firearm season, CF handguns, Shotguns, and ML rifles are OK tho. :confused: During ML season only rifles are legal. :confused: :confused:

The same here in NC. No ML pistols allowed for hunting big game. You may use a cartridge pistol as long as the power level meets or exceeds .357 levels.

A few years ago I used a .54 Lyman Plains Pistol for deer hunting. I didn't carry a rifle. I used the Buffalo Ballet (like a round ball on the front end and like a conical on the back end) that I think weighed 310 grains. I waited and chose my shot very carefully. I shot a doe at less then 20 yards that was facing me. Shot her head-on in the chest and when the smoke cleared she had dropped in her tracks without taking a step. At the time I was using Triple 7 powder (45 grains I think), I since switched exclusively to real black in my rifle. For the first time since that hunt, I dug that pistol out just 2 weeks ago. I was going to the range to shoot my .54 rifle and decided to take it with me. It was the first time I had ever tried real black powder or a patched round ball in it. I was amazed at how accurate it was with Goex 3F and a patched round ball.

I suspect that many states are treluctant t allow pistols for big game considering how so many hunters with the various types of ML rifles tend to stretch the range considerably.

It's definitely a very close-range prospect. I figger it's like bowhunting, but with a pistol. :grin:
Here in IL we have to use a "published" load that produces a minimum of 500 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. The only way I found to do that with a roundball was with a .54 Lyman Great Plains Pistol using 50 grains of 3F.
I will keep trying to take a doe with mine every chance I get. :thumbsup:

Killed a doe wih a cap and ball rev a few years back. Takes a good close shot. Not as much fun as I thought it would be. Larry Wv

I carry a smoothbore dragoon pistol, .67cal. I have taken grouse and a couple of rabits at close range, I load 35gr of 3F with 1 oz of 7 1/2 shot. I use a 1/2" fiber wad over the powder then shot and top with another 1/2" fiber wad. This throws a good pattern up to 20 feet. Its a fun load to shoot and gives some flexability during a big game hunt.

This is the upper leg bone of a mule deer doe shot at 20-25 yards with a 8" barreled 54 percussion pistol. .530 PRB broke the bone, took out the heart and lodged under the hide at the far side. Deer piled up less than 50 yards from where it was shot.
If you can place the shot a 50-54 caliber pistol is perfectly acceptable with 45-65 grains of powder. I like to make hunting pistols with a slower twist than the typical 22" GM pistol ball twist. I have a pistol with a cut off from a 54 cal 66" twist douglas in progress. 48-66 should be ideal to 54 caliber, probably the ball size for the job.
The slower twists may require more powder. But this is not a disadvantage when hunting.
C&B 44 should work OK too but less power available.
Dan

DSC02831.jpg

Latest posts

Back