• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying a pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only taken a couple deer but this is what my father and grandad taught me. My grandad was a live off the land type of a guy who lived in a log cabin he built himself and hunted with a Browning a5 shotgun that's taken over 100 deer. When I would go with my dad as youngin we would wait sometimes up to 30 minutes before retrieving a deer. Unless it was visible and down for the count. In va our hunting laws and private property laws are very open, you can hunt with anything thing 30 cal and above for rifles and pistols as long as your county allows pistol hunting. In fact my first deer was taken with a 460 s&w 8in. I would really be interested in trying hunting with a colt walker

For years, I carried a Colt Walker replica on a cross draw holster when I muzzle loader elk hunted. When I muzzle loader deer hunted, I carried my Ruger Old Army. This was not so much as a follow up or kill shot weapon but for Grouse and or large things that might want to hurt me. I want to take a Mule deer this fall with my flinter and think I shall carry one of my flint single shots pistols just because I want to.
Old Shepherd

Back