• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blackpowder rabbits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hello everyone reciently I have been rabbit hunting pretty often. Sadly i've been using my H&R 20 gauge single shot. So I think i'm gonna take out my double barrel 14 gauge a couple times before the season closes in 2 weeks. i dont know if it patterns tight enough tho. is this a good enough pattern at 20 yards for rabbit ?
DSCF0273-1.jpg

if not, how can I tighten up the pattern? If I'm thinking right I think my load was 70 grains FF then 1 over shot wad then 100 grains of #6 shot then 2 overshot wads. would a thick felt wad under shot tighten pattern ? can you guys post pics of you blackpowder rabbits and the load you used ? thanks sniper

I'd try a thicker fiber cushion wad over powder and one over shot card.
Also try loading powder and shot volume per volume.
Little variations in load components can have great effects on pattern.
I would not consider the pattern you pictured efficient enough for rabbit.

HD

I agree with hunting dawg. You have to less hits in the center of the target, that could mean that the shot cloud has a hole in its center. So if you are unlucky the rabbit is in this center and won't get enough shots to be killed.
What distance was it?

Regards

Kirrmeister

if I remember right it was 20 or 25 yards. last night I made up some paper shot cups so I will try them today. the funny thing is that i've used this load all year on squirrels and I only had one get away out of the 10 I killed. the farthest shot was 30 yards. so I will pattern the double tonight with the shot cups and post the results.

Reduce that powder charge to 2 drams or 2 1/4 drams- ( 55 or 60 grains). You should see the pattern tighten noticeably doing so. Do seal the gases behind your shot by using a good OP wad. Be sure to measure the bore diameter on that barrel. Not all 20 gauge barrels are the nominal .615". If your barrel is larger in diameter, the wads may not be sealing well enough, and that is blowing your patterns. 100 grains of shot is a heavy, 1 5/8 oz. load of shot. You should not need more than 1 oz. of shot in a 20 gauge. See Bob Spenser's article on his 20 gauge loads, and then go on to read what the late V.M. Starr recommended for loads. They don't agree.
http://members.aye.net/~bspen/index.html

I think Bob's ideas for a rabbit load make more sense. If you can't get within 30 feet of a rabbit, you usually can't see it well enough to get a clean shot at it anyway. #6 shot is just not going to bust much brush and grass. If you were to use #4 shot instead, that can be a different matter. But patterns get a lot less even and full using the larger shot. Just hold your shot to 20 yards and less with the larger shot, even though they can kill at much longer ranges.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 14ga. handles 70gr. of 2F and 1 oz. of shot great. I use one over powder card, a fiber cushion that is about 1/4" thick that has been soaked in olive oil and then allowed to drain and one over shot card. I have patterned 5's, 6's and 7 1/2's with these componets and they all work well. Not sure what gun you are using, but mine is an old original with no chokes at all.

What did your wife and neighbors say when you patterned off of the side of the house. :grin:

its a printed target on a printer paper.

I dont have a wife yet sense i'm only 14 lol

my 14 gauge is an original that I got for my birthday 2 years ago from the log cabin shop in lodi ohio.

I tested out the shot cups and to my relif they patterned much tighter. I will post pics tomorrow.

ok here is the new pattern. I made a shot cup out of a post it note. I didnt cut any slits in the cup. my load was 70 grains, FF overpowder wad,shot cup with 70 grains #6 shot,2 overshot wads
here is the pattern, I shot it at 35 yards. I was aiming at the green square. it is a 10 inch by 10 inch square. I counted 32 holes in the square.
DSCF3019.jpg

DSCF3018.jpg

DSCF3017.jpg

I think this pattern is much better then before.

Stumpkiller said:
Go get 'em! I've been playing with #4 vs. #6 shot as the bunnies this year seem to be holding in the thick rose & briar tangles. #6 just wasn't getting there firstest with the mostest.

Stumpy! You're learning to speak southern :grin:

If a rabbit was in that square you'd have to strain him through a sieve to get the lead out of him.....Too much shot and you've got nothin left to eat. :surrender:

Feed em all the same, years ago when I Duck hunted even Teal got 3&1/2 inch mags BBB out of the ten gauge. They tasted just fine and easy to pick out any shot that didn't go all the way through.

Go get em and have fun!

Bedford Forrest's supposedly actual words were "Git thar' first with the most men" but then again either way it works.

silent sniper said:
ok here is the new pattern. I made a shot cup out of a post it note. I didnt cut any slits in the cup. my load was 70 grains, FF overpowder wad,shot cup with 70 grains #6 shot,2 overshot wads
here is the pattern, I shot it at 35 yards. I was aiming at the green square. it is a 10 inch by 10 inch square. I counted 32 holes in the square.
DSCF3019.jpg

DSCF3018.jpg

DSCF3017.jpg

I think this pattern is much better then before.

I think that will bring you meat in the pot! :thumbsup:

Kirrmeister

Latest posts

Back