• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blackpowder rabbits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I use a beagle,but I'm still working with her as she isnt the best rabbit dog yet lol. But I will keep working with her and hopefully i will end up with a good rabbit dog.

Here's a comparison. This is 1-1/8oz of #4 and 75 gr FFg in by 12 bore. It was a straight cylinder that Coyote Joe jug choked for me. This is at 30 yards and the bunny is half-scale - the quarter in the second image is for size comparison. 10 body hits (ears, tail & feet don't count).

HPIM1181.jpg

HPIM1187.jpg

well, what's the word? Is there a rabbit in the pot, or is it still in the bush?

Brent

Be patent with that lady some just start slower than other. I have two of them that work well together. Waiting for the snow to melt again so I can hunt rabbits. Season is til the end of March in Michigan.

i'm going on I big hunt this saterday (feb 28) for the last day of ohio rabbit season. I think I will take my 13 guage double instead of my 14 guage,simply because the 13 comes to my shoulder better. IT will be better for the fast fleing rabbits lol.

I like my .54 smoothbore (28ga) It does the job on squirrels and rabbits without putting a lot of shot in the meat.

Dolly_28ga.JPG

hm. from the discussion i'm going to say i'm one of the few who rabbit hunt with a handgun...

i have a T/C HAWKINS .50 CAL.

i would like to also hunt rabbits with it.

i always liked a caliber like .410 for rabbits..

i guess i cant use my .50 cal barrel with some kind of shot.

or can i.

if not, what kind of barrel do i need to use for shooting bb at rabbits.

as you notice i dont know much about shooting bb with a muzzleloader.

Inside 10 yards, you can hit rabbits with shot loads out of your rifle. After that its a wish and a hope, as the rifling spirals the shot load. Any smoothbore barrel can be used to shoot shot loads.

I don't know what you are talking about by using the letters, " bb ". Are you actually asking about shooting lead BB shot in a smoothbore? Why would you want to use such large shot in any gun for hunting rabbits? Normally, #6 or even #7 1/2 shot is all you need to kill rabbits out to 30 yards and beyond, even with a cylinder bore shotgun shooting Black powder.

If you can't get within 30 yards of a rabbit, don't take the shot! Since I showed my ex-wife how to walk up to within 6 feet of a wild rabbit, I find it difficult to believe anyone can't work within 30 yards of a rabbit.

I had the opposite problem last Saturday. I had a rabbit at 15 feet under a rose tangle and could not get him to bolt. I never did end up getting a shot. He kept the bust between us and finallt side-stepped into his burrow that was in the same tangle. Smart bunny.

Have to go back to strapping my .22LR Ruger Single-Six on my belt. ;-)

Latest posts

Back