• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blanket gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a 20 gauge blanket gun in a few days, wondering if I should load it like a pistol, or maybe a little stronger. Also would like opinions on inexpensive wads for loads of number 5 shot. Thanks
I try to keep everything cheap and simple, as long as it works. I use sheep's wool for over powder and over shot in all my smoothies. It is somewhat traditional and, due to the lanolin in the wool, it won't start a fire in the woods. I buy it on eBay and it is about twelve to fifteen bucks with free shipping for a Priority envelope stuffed to the gills. The package in the picture is one I bought last year. I cut one end open and just pull out the little bit I need that day and put it in the bag. It only takes a pinch over each component to do the job. There is still plenty there after quite a few shots. The only problem I've had with it is, if you leave your gun loaded for a bit of time (weeks) the lanolin can slip into the powder charge and ruin it. But that doesn't happen if only loaded for a few days at a time.

Attachments

• IMG_20240725_174604596.jpg
    IMG_20240725_174604596.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Hey Mark how’s Rosie have you been shooting er much hope your eyes problem gets solved .You could also put a little oil on some 4-6” paper and roll it up and stuff it down for wads ,every body has news paper .
Unfortunately the eyes are worse, not shooting much this year, can't see what I'm shooting at or if I hit it 😁 Mostly pulling weeds for entertainment when it's cool enough.

Just got my blanket gun, nice piece. I had surgery on my one good eye a week ago, so I won't be able to try it out for a while. Main reason I wanted it was I can't see the sights on my rifles anymore. Golden years my a××!
This post is a year old folks. Rob M has the Curly blanket gun now, and can build you an outstanding trade gun of any length.

Unfortunately the eyes are worse, not shooting much this year, can't see what I'm shooting at or if I hit it 😁 Mostly pulling weeds for entertainment when it's cool enough.
We can’t give up Mark we gotta keep plugging away if you roll up some greased up newspaper and stuff it down the barrel that we’ll get you started.good luck .

I bought plenty of wads last winter, Rosie is short and I have to shoot left handed now. That big flintlock singed off some of my beard. Bought a couple of cap and ball revolvers this year, can only shoot 15 yards or so and see the target, the sights kinda float in and out 😊 A sad statement for a guy who made his living pulling a trigger for nearly 40 years. If someone breaks into my room now, I'll use my cutlass 😁

Howdy Black Prince. Welcome to the forum. If you're wanting one I'd probably talk to Rob M. about it. All those pictures he posted, I think, are guns he built. Dude makes a nice trade gun. And is pretty easy going too. Probably might make it whatever length you want too as long as you bribe him with a pizza...
D@mn !! Yer smart bud !! I love pizza !! LOL !! That post with 5 pics , all of the same blanket gun was a N.Star blanket gun I bought but all the other ones I made . They are fun guns .... Oh yeah ! Got make yer gun what ever length ya fancy ! Gotta fit ya so you enjoy loading and shootin it !!

I bought plenty of wads last winter, Rosie is short and I have to shoot left handed now. That big flintlock singed off some of my beard. Bought a couple of cap and ball revolvers this year, can only shoot 15 yards or so and see the target, the sights kinda float in and out 😊 A sad statement for a guy who made his living pulling a trigger for nearly 40 years. If someone breaks into my room now, I'll use my cutlass 😁
Hey Mark maybe a sawed of shotgun is just what you need or a Howda
If I spelled it right one of those double barrel pistol things .😉

Howdy Black Prince. Welcome to the forum. If you're wanting one I'd probably talk to Rob M. about it. All those pictures he posted, I think, are guns he built. Dude makes a nice trade gun. And is pretty easy going too. Probably might make it whatever length you want too as long as you bribe him with a pizza...
PIZZA !!!!!! :O

Attachments

• 279906-236648-IMG-20230716-121400.jpg
    279906-236648-IMG-20230716-121400.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 279914-236647-IMG-20230716-121356.jpg
    279914-236647-IMG-20230716-121356.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1675623968706.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675623968706.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230530_203017.jpg
    IMG_20230530_203017.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230716_121458~2.jpg
    IMG_20230716_121458~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1675623979667.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675623979667.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230125_120414.jpg
    IMG_20230125_120414.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230122_114124.jpg
    IMG_20230122_114124.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
I know ! Ive posted this VDO before , but its SO cool ! So glad he sent me a copy of this VDO !/Fast ignition , ya hear the iron target get hit and the smile at the end ! So flippen cool !!! :) N.W. Trade gun , Canoe length , I made for this guy ....

Attachments

• 327198-f4f9d7bbd1f59869dd71e7efebb1046e.mov
    773.7 KB
I know ! Ive posted this VDO before , but its SO cool ! So glad he sent me a copy of this VDO !/Fast ignition , ya hear the iron target get hit and the smile at the end ! So flippen cool !!! :) N.W. Trade gun , Canoe length , I made for this guy ....
What length is the barrel on that canoe gun and who is the muscles in the black tee shirt lol holding a shorty gun .

What length is the barrel on that canoe gun and who is the muscles in the black tee shirt lol holding a shorty gun .
LOL .... I think that was Arnold Swartezenagwler ....26" or a 28" barrel , it was a 20 ga. before those barrels got all bought up ....

In the video it looks like maybe 36” long or he is not a big guy.
In the VDO its a .58 ,26" long .....hmmmm , just reviewed the VDO again.....maybe it IS a longer barrel ? ...if so its a 20 ga. Hmmmmmmm.......need to.look him up on the list ....if I havent tossed it out already ....d@mn hillbilly's do that sometimes ! LOL ! :)

Last edited:
Back