• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blanket gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A long time ago, in a place far away, I was on patrol late one night along the flight line and hot pad. I had the area response team that night, was with the 906th TFG WSSF. We hadn't had a chance to eat since coming on duty and the crew and I were getting pretty hungry. I had my driver roll over to the closest gate to see if the LE's had anything to eat. As luck would have it they had just had a pizza delivered, but the driver brought the wrong pizza. They said we could have the pizza as the driver was bringing them the one they ordered. With grins my driver, gunner, and I grabbed a piece of pizza each but after a bite or two spit it out. While the LE's were laughing it up we threw it in the closest dumpster. DON'T WANT NO ROTTEN DEAD FISH ON MY PIZZA

A long time ago, in a place far away, I was on patrol late one night along the flight line and hot pad. I had the area response team that night, was with the 906th TFG WSSF. We hadn't had a chance to eat since coming on duty and the crew and I were getting pretty hungry. I had my driver roll over to the closest gate to see if the LE's had anything to eat. As luck would have it they had just had a pizza delivered, but the driver brought the wrong pizza. They said we could have the pizza as the driver was bringing them the one they ordered. With grins my driver, gunner, and I grabbed a piece of pizza each but after a bite or two spit it out. While the LE's were laughing it up we threw it in the closest dumpster. DON'T WANT NO ROTTEN DEAD FISH ON MY PIZZA
Lol, good story!!!

D@mn !! Yer smart bud !! I love pizza !! LOL !! That post with 5 pics , all of the same blanket gun was a N.Star blanket gun I bought but all the other ones I made . They are fun guns .... Oh yeah ! Got make yer gun what ever length ya fancy ! Gotta fit ya so you enjoy loading and shootin it !!

I sure do love Pizza too, Rob.

I’m a pepperoni and anchovies man myself.

LOL !!! You all are awesome ! :)

Attachments

• 800.jpeg
    800.jpeg
    843.2 KB · Views: 0
A true historic reference "blanket gun" was a severely cut down trade musket, but BOTH on the barrel and the stock. They were made for one event in the Eastern Woodland, Pontiac's Rebellion. They were called such by historians because the Indians wore strouds aka trade blankets as "matchcoats" and the guns were smuggled into the interior of British Forts by women beneath these blankets. At an appropriate signal, the women handed them to their men, and the forts were taken. They were made for a very specific purpose.

So this...,
View attachment 336512
Cut down to this:
View attachment 336513

Shortened muskets, aka Canoe Guns, became the rage a few decades back. Ironic for the existence of short trade guns or trade muskets was more likely a plains Indian culture thing for easy use when riding up close to bison when hunting the bison, not for use from a canoe. BUT they were first marketed as handy for folks in canoes hunting squirrels, or deer on the banks of a creek, so the name stuck. Canoe Guns are sometimes called "blanket guns" but they are longer, completed usually with a front sight bead or post, have a rammer, and a stock much closer to a full stock, or in some cases a full stock.

Canoe Gun

View attachment 336514

Here is a previous thread on Blanket Guns
2007 Forum Blanket Gun Thread

LD
This stuff I did not know. Thanks

Latest posts

Back