• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blaze Orange???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Creek

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know everyone here isnt into the pc huntin garb, I have never tried it myself but am becoming more and more interested. For those of you who do try to wear 18th century how do you deal with the mandatory blaze orang required by most states now?

Thanks in advance.

creek

In the states that I hunt,N.Y., Vt., and N.H., blaze is not mandatory, and most wear the traditional wool. I have always worn green and black Johnson wool check and feel comfortable in it. Most of the areas I hunt are not frequented by other hunters, as I rarely see anyone else during the season.

Orion you are lucky, one of the reasons I quit huntin is because of how hard it got to find a little peice of ground where you could walk more than fifty yards without tripping over somebody. florida is a dog hunting state and almost all the national forest and state management areas are open to dog hunting, I can hunt there but the fact that the deer are so far from a natural state and having dogs run all over you makes it impossible to have a peaceful hunt. My oldest grandson has beggeed me into taking him next year and I told my wife tonight the only thing that eases the dread is the fact that I will be huntin with a flintlock next year.

creek

Thanks Buck, i'll search for it and if I cant find it I'll see if Jethro will can help me out.

creek

There are several vendors out there that sell reversible wool weskits, usually a dark green on one side and hunter orange on the other....I know Ohio Valley Peddler has them, saw them last weekend....many that traditional hunt/camp in orange required states use them....flip them while hunting, and reverse in camp for the traditional look....either way, you still are in traditional clothing...

the hat will surely meet some of the regs but if i remember right florida requires a large enough area of blaze front and back that you pretty much have to wear a vest at the minimum. my first thought was to have my wife make me a rifle shirt in blaze and if i could find a blaze wool blanket pretty cheap a blanket coat. i guess once you go to that orange color you might be just as well off to just resign yourself to it and wear modern on the upper body and change in camp. i couldnt find jethros post so hopefully he will see this and chime in.

creek

Ok Ok I think I got it :haha: Smoke & fire, in inner & outer clothing, hunter orange & wool $28.

It must not be my day, I locked my self out about 6:30pm & missed out on an indoor bow shoot. Had to stand outside and wait for my wife to get home, like a school kid :shake:

My misses went to the fabric store one day while they were having a huge sale. She bought a whole bolt of blaze orange fleece. She then took one of my hunting shirts apart and used it for a pattern. She made it double thick and it's actually quite warm. I know fleece isn't PC/HC, but it's as close as I can come without spending ALOT of money. I am a big guy and custom costs money. I wear my belt and everything else. But the blaze really makes me stand out. My misses feels better so it's worth it to me.

In Indiana we can get away with just one article of clothing, so a hat will suffice. This is what I go with:

DeerHunt.jpg

From the FWC website:
It is unlawful to hunt deer or to accompany another person hunting deer on public lands unless each person is wearing a minimum of 500 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange material as an outer garment. Such clothing must be worn above the waistline and can include a head covering. This rule does not apply during archery season.

I use an orange weskit.

And about dog hunting....there are a WHOLE BUNCH of places to go in this state where dogs aren't allowed. In fact folks who use dogs have a pretty tough time finding anywhere to hunt now except for the 3 National forests, Richloam, and a few areas down south or private clubs.

You obviously haven't spent much time watching our deer here. They are in as natural a state as anywhere else. In fact, the dogs don't run them ragged like everyone thinks. If they did, how would the clubs consistently take as many as they do each year? How come the 3 National Forests take so many deer???? The deer herd here is healthy. A lot of outsiders blame the dogs when their hunting isn't like what it is back up north. Truth is, this ain't back up north! It's different and so is the the deer hunting. It's tough.

I have NO PROBLEM finding plenty of land to roam without seeing a soul or hearing a dog.

In Maryland we are only required to wear a solid, blaze orange hat, OR 250 square inches of blaze orange.

Now that means roughly a piece of blaze orange fabric 1" longer, and 2" wider than a piece of notebook paper on the chest and back. :shocked2:

I have both a knit hat, and an orange cape that I can add to my hunting shirt. Plus I just made a reversable waistcoat, with brown on one side, and brown with orange shoulders in sufficient amount to meet the regs on the other side.

On private property you don't have to wear orange out here, BUT that's taking a big risk, from 1) the guy who shoots beyond his area onto your land by accident who has no idea you are over there because you are not wearing orange, or 2) the poacher who doesn't see you and shoots in your direction. In fact, I also carry an extra piece of orange to hang on the back portion of the tree where I am standing when not moving..., as no matter if you are dressed as a "road cone" folks can't see through a tree. I'd hang the fabric even if I was up in a tree stand.

LD

Here in NC we are only required to wear an orange hat, so I wear an orange 'boonie' hat, as shown in my avatar.

My State of Oregon dosnt require it but but WA and ID do... I bought a cammo-blaze orage vest and just suck it up...

PA flint only season does not require blaze orange be worn at all. I hunt with a flint rifle in this season because I enjoy the reduced number of hunters, the time of year, the buck or doe tag and of course the challenge of flint ignition and patched ball. I rarely hunt any other season anymore.

I don't get involved in period dress or worry about wearing orange in this season. It's about flint, ball and venison. I wear a camo orange vest and hat. We do deer drives and it's mandatory in our group that you wear it or you don't go.

Here in Arkansas we have to have so many inches , I forget the number, but it equals to a hat and vest. I like to dress somewhat period so I do as much small game hunting as I can. If there is no ML or MG deer season you don't have to have orange. During deer I just wear it and try to ignore it.

WA state doesnt require it durring ML season so i dont wear any. modern season does but even if i had a spot light tied to me i wouldnt trust modern hunters.

-matt

Back