• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blaze Orange???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stumpkiller said:
Not manditory in NY; but you'd be crazy not to have some orange during regular season.

HPIM2723.jpg

Thats what I have and like it well enough if I have to wear it.... But for that matter what the heck are you doin wearing my pants??

Loyalist Dave said:
In fact, I also carry an extra piece of orange to hang on the back portion of the tree where I am standing when not moving..., as no matter if you are dressed as a "road cone" folks can't see through a tree.
I do this too! I've never seen anyone else do it, so I'm glad that someone else thinks its a good idea. :thumbsup:

Scout, sorry if i pee'd in your corn flakes and i am glad you have it so good in your neck of the woods, i'm just telling what i have experienced and it has nothing to do with up north, i have lived here all my life except for a tour in the Corps and have hunted here for over fourty years and if you pull up smithcreek fl 32358 on google you will see i live almost directly in the middle of the apalachicola n.f., hence the dogs. i dog hunted from the time i was old enough for my grandaddy to not have to deal with diapers up until around 98 or 99 so i know a thing or two about hounds,fox hounds and deer hounds. i ought to, i have had a kennel of as many as 24 and never fewer than six. i have seen first hand how game learns to hide when they get the kind of pressure we get up here,i see it on my own property to and i dont even hunt it. alot of it because people from east and south florida looking for opportunitys not available near their homes or bigger lands come here. back when st joe left just about all their lands open it was better but those days are gone. i am sorry we disagree and wish you the best and pray you dont experiance what we have here.
Buck,
Thanks for finding that, i think i can make that work!!
and thanks to the rest of you, espeacialy for the pics, that was great!!

creek

I wear a vest and hat because I love life!!! :)

I've ran into fellows in the woods with just a hat and frankly if they aren't moving it's not enough so I go with both...

If I take the wife and kids out shooting mistletoe, we all wear orange as well...You just can't be too careful!!!

Alberta Does not require it, but I do. I have a hard enough time breathing without a hole in my lungs. :grin:
After sitting on a stump, in the open, with no cover at all and shooting a nice buck at 10 feet, I figured color isn't the big issue. I was wearing a blaze orange coat and hat. There was snow on the ground, so I must have stood out like a trafic light on a lonely Highway.I watched him sniff his way down a trail for over 100 yards as I sat there looking down the barrel at him. At 10 feet I figured he was close enough to risk a shot.
It is just not worth it to take a chance on being shot to not wear blaze. I don't want to be mistaken for game or not seen and hit by someone shooting at game that does not know I am there.
Happy to be alive and able to hunt another day. Pete

PA does not require blaze orange in the flintlock season (even in areas where it is concurrent with shotguns). The law allows for the wearing of period clothing, (which I have never gotten into).
I wear anything but blaze orange, with the occasional exception of a particularly warm blaze orange pullover cap when it is really cold. (I also have a vest that is so old and faded, it may as well be camoflage. I sometimes wear it.)

Here in Pa we have to be dressed up to look like a blazing Xmas tree...except during the late flintlock season...this is one of the reasons why I love the late season, no blaze orange required! I do have a blaze orange mad trapper hat with black rabbit fur, but there is a skunk fur covering the orange part...so it looks like a mountain-man fur hat. If I deem it necessary for saftey sake I can always remove the skunk fur (it's only buttoned in place) and drop the flaps for all blaze orange! :thumbsup:

Wattsy said:
My State of Oregon dosnt require it but but WA and ID do... I bought a cammo-blaze orage vest and just suck it up...

That Sir, is a canard.

From the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife:

Hunter Orange Clothing Is Not Required:

. During an upland bird season for anyone hunting upland game birds with a muzzleloading firearm, bow and arrow, or for falconry.

. While hunting in a muzzleloading or archery only GMU and possessing a valid muzzleloading or archery deer or elk tag.

Ogre said:
Wattsy said:
My State of Oregon dosnt require it but but WA and ID do... I bought a cammo-blaze orage vest and just suck it up...

That Sir, is a canard.

From the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife:

Hunter Orange Clothing Is Not Required:

. During an upland bird season for anyone hunting upland game birds with a muzzleloading firearm, bow and arrow, or for falconry.

. While hunting in a muzzleloading or archery only GMU and possessing a valid muzzleloading or archery deer or elk tag.

I didnt say I was hunting washington with a MLer... When hunting with a centerfire it IS required. Its not in Oregon EVER, unless you are under 18 years of age, so I "suck it up".... :blah:

Hunter Orange Requirements

Under the following conditions a minimum of 400 square inches of fluorescent hunter orange exterior clothing is required. It must be worn above the waist and be visible from all sides. A hat, by itself, does not meet this requirement.
ӢAnyone hunting deer or elk during any modern firearm deer or elk general season is required to wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing.
All modern firearm permit holders must wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing. This includes archers and muzzleloaders while hunting in units (e.g. GMUs, Deer, Areas, Elk Areas, Wilderness Areas, etc.) that overlap modern firearm seasons.

I also tell my hunting students that although they have the "choice" between a hat or the vest, THEY will always wear the hat, and the vest is the optional part, for a head of hair that is on the opposite slope of a wooded hill from another hunter may appear to be a squirrel on the apex of the hill, and get shot at for the vest would be blocked from that hunter's view. The first thing that is visible when walking over the top of the hill is your head, so the first thing folks should see is the orange, in my opinion.

LD

[/quote]

I didnt say I was hunting washington with a MLer... When hunting with a centerfire it IS required. Its not in Oregon EVER, unless you are under 18 years of age, so I "suck it up".... :blah:

[/quote]

That Sir, is another canard. For example: Washington Spring Black Bear Hunt.

Im beginning to think you have just learned a new word "canard" and are more interested in using it then contributing intelligently to a conversation... So let me try this;
Canard, what a wonderfull and smart sounding word!! I bet the person in posession of such a word must be a great hunter and all around good guy.

Back