• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blending Black Powders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
A man I work with asked about blending different brands of black powder, say Elephant and Goex...

He had a half pound of each, (both FFg) and just mixed them both and put them back into one can.

I told him that this might not be such a hot idea, different companies have their own standard formulas for their powders.

Was I wrong for telling him this was a bad idea?
Or was I just reciting drilled in gun safty laws?

I guess it you were going to blend them together, then they should have beed soaked with water, mixed and then re-corned...

I told him to scrap the powder.

Was I wrong?

I know a guy that for years loads 50/50 blackpowder/pyrodex. He loads the BP first and the pyrodex second. He claims gives him the best of both worlds- shoots cleaner and ignites fast due to the bp igniting first.

I've also heard of trickling pistol powder into the base of blackpowder cartridge rifles to aid in faster ignition, but have had no personal confirmation of this.

I don't see a problem with this other than my personal dislike for the slower velocities and dirtier barrel that results from shooting elephant powder. Seems to me he ruined perfectly good Goex!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pulling a ball from an uncharged barrel is still better than a good day at work...but just barely...

Back