• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blowin Down the Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The "ignition source" thread prompts me to ask the eternal question: Why should you do this? Why shouldn't you do this?

I WANNA KNOW!!

Thanks, sse

P.S. If this has been covered here already, tell me where it is! ::

P.P.S. OTOH, if ya wanna argue some more, anywhoo, that's fine, too!! ::

I do it.

I was told way back there that if there was a bit of powder or a spark, blowing down the barrel would extinguish the spark, and had a side benefit of softening the fouling in the bore.

I can see smoke come of the touch hole or nipple and that helps me believe they're clear.

I don't have a clue if it really works or not, I've just always done it; rekon I'll keep on doin' it.

I was told it keeps the fouling softer and allows you to shoot longer without cleaning. But that was on a breech loading black powder rifle. You'd give yourself a headache trying to blow much air out a nipple on the other end of the barrel. There are tubes used to drop into the bore so the 'exhaust' comes back at you from the breech end.

I can't find the post but we had lots of discussion on this a while back.
I suppose I came across as being one of the "don't do that" crowd but here's my thoughts on it:

It does keep the fouling damp and soft.

It might cause an ember to burn itself out so it won't set off the next powder charge.

If you'r out in the woods with no-one around to see you do it, go ahead and stick the gun barrel in your mouth and blow.

If your at a shooting range or somewhere there are people who COULD see you, do NOT put the gun barrel in your mouth for any reason whatsoever.

If your at a shooting range or somewhere there are people who COULD see you, place a piece of clear plastic tubing (which you can get at any hardware store for $0.60) into the barrel and keeping your face away from the muzzle, blow into the other end of the tube to soften the powder and extinguish glowing powder remnants.

That's my 2 cents worth.

I'm a spit'n non-swabber, what "blows" down his bore!!

I'm not sure I should blame my "misses" on my load'n-techneeks,... or,.. tha fact thet I'm legally blind!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Well, the guys at the club frown on this in a big way. Guess they're afeared you'll blow yer fool head off. Back at my old range the smokeless guys were amused by the practice. (They didn't do it, I did.)

Course, I guess if you slop enough lube in there you can fergit the blowin and commence to swabbin!! I know of at least one unrepentent swabber who's probably gettin close to being a "repentent" swabber.

Regards, sse

Well, I blow down the barrel too. I know it's against all the NMLRA rules. I just feel that I have a good safety record...and am still cognizant enough to know that the firearm recoiled and the shot was made. I know I shouldn't get upset when the line officer gets on my case for it, but it still rankles me. This is probably due to the fact that I don't like to be reprimanded by younger folks.

I like the idea of a small plastic tube and blowing anyway....think I will incorporate that practice and see where it gets me with those fellows.

Of course I am one of those people who get all stirred up when I find another method of the world trying to protect me "for my own good". I won't wear out this thread on the subject....just say that that is one of the major problems of this country today....toooo many folks messin in my business. Leave me alone! If I do something stupid and die from it, then fine....I hate being coddled by all the well-meaning do-gooders. Nuff said...

If the lack of "recoil" ain't an indication thet the rifle has indeed "fired",.... then use an "angled glance" at the muzzle, or a ramrod dropped down the bore, to verify wether the rifle "has fired or not"!! (unless yore shoot'n in the dark,... then the "3 FT. flame" out'a the muzzle, might be an indication!)

Blind folks like me, have aquired such "attuned hear'n",.... thet if our rifles "DON'T fire = we DON'T hear it",... and, an indication we shouldn't blow down the muzzle!! (also,... a "loaded" rifle is heavy'er, then a "un-loaded" rifle!)

There is an artical in Muzzleblast Feb 04, The other guy by Fred Lipp. While reloading a 20 ga it went off,no one was hurt BUT sure make you wonder. On the same page is an ad for the Kalamazoo Liveing History Show, March 20 & 21.Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As I said the last time this was discussed, when your around other people, especially kids it can lead them to think this is a safe practice.
Now most older people can figgure out that maybe sticking a gun barrel in your mouth isn't a real good idea but kids are stupid. Ask anyone who's raised some. (Teenagers are even stupider but we won't get into that).

IMO the idea is we don't want some stupid kid getting the idea that sticking a gun barrel in his/her mouth is a neat thing to do (which they will). After all, they will say "the mountain man at the shooting range did it".

The bottom line is we don't want little Billie or Freddie going home and getting his dads loaded .45 auto out to show his buddies how it's done and saying "Watch THIS!!".....

That's why I said (up above) if your out in the woods where kids (and teenagers) aren't, then it's up to you. If your at a Range, it's up to the Range Official.

Blowing down the barrel does aid in softening fouling. Go to any BPCR match and see how many of those/us guys use blow tubes. My testing on my old range proved it to me beyond a shadow of a doubt. Is blowing down the barrel of a muzzleloader a good practice. I say yes. Does it look good to the ignorant and uninformed....no, but they're the ones who are ignorant and uninformed, not me.

Vic

The Bevel Brothers" just completed exhaustive tests on the old "spru must be up for best accuracy" wives tale and put that to rest once and for all.
Be interesting if they could get the NMLRA to sanction/fund an independent scientific test about whether or not there is any "real" danger with "blowing down the bore" or not.

Conclusion of the "study" would probly reveal thet ther is,...."Absolutely no real danger involved with blow'n down the empty bore of a gun in a sensible manner"!

When will the "rules" also require participants to:... "Place ther powderhorns a "safe distance" from the fire'n line,... wear "protective" clothing,... mandate "hear'n and eye" protection,... use only "approved" powder charges,... and etc?

Blackpowder shoot'n "events" are probly the "safest" sport ther is, with the "least number" of injuries per-participant (nation-wide)!

However this "saftey record" is NOT sumpthin "new", it was a "fact" long before ther ever was a "rule" aginst blow'n down the barrel!!

I think Zonie is onto something with the kids in mind, I really think that while you are sitting infront of the TV watching the boobs bounce on BayWatch, smoking a cig, sipping on some Scotch after uttering some vugarities because the libral press has whitled away at another of out fundimental rights, do make sure you tell the kids that a gunbarrel must be unloaded before you blow down it....we must strive to set good examples.

tg - I generally gulp Scotch, other than that, you got me pegged. ::

I'm torn. There's something to be said for being ultra careful and not giving some one who doesn't know any better the wrong idea. After all the gun that injures is the one that wasn't loaded.

OTOH, refraining from the practice may be carful to a fault. Dunno. I think I'll sit the fence and side with the guy who said look at it from a situational standpoint, depends on where you are. That makes sense to me, so I don't have to give it up all together. ::

Thanks everbuddy for re-hashing the issue, does no harm.

Regards, sse

TG,.... I agree, but ther are also "fundamentals" involve'n "safety" and unloaded barrels other then "blow'n" down'em, such as:....
Tree stands
Clean'n
Transport'n
Storage
Loans
Sell'n
Demostrations (I'm do'n one in 2 wks. for tha 7th. graders)
Ship'n
Repair
and,... etc.

"ALL" of the above,.... are "SAFE" with an unloaded barrel. (same as "blow'n" IMHO)
Many of our "other practices" need a "caution" to the un-informed also, instead of (maybe?) be'n taken for granted!!

After all the gun that injures is the one that wasn't loaded.

I agree and that's the point.

When I take a pistol out of my safe, check the cylinder and know it isn't loaded, I still don't put my finger on the trigger or point it at anyone. I'd be a fool if I did.

I've taught my children that you don't point a gun, loaded or otherwise, at anything you don't plan to shoot or kill. That includes sticking it in your mouth.

If someone want's to stick the barrel of their gun in their mouth that's fine with me. If my children see it, I'll just have to explain to them that some people have a different concept of gun safety than we do. They'll understand because we see people doing things differently than we do all the time. ::

I couldn't tell my children that it's alright for an experienced "Mountain Man" to do it, because he knows it isn't loaded and there's no way it could go off. They'd see the contradiction right away.

It is always an interesting topic, while taboo to put the barrel over ones mouth after the shot it is acceptable to always have the hands exposed to the muzzle during loading and during the cleaning process ( that dangerous "unloaded" gun again), I suppose we can justify the possible loss of fingers or hands but not life or cheeks. It is hard to find a right or wrong on this one, each must follow his own path.

Back