• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blowin Down the Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is hard to find a right or wrong on this one, each must follow his own path.

You're right, it's an individual choice and I respect that.

Do I think it's relatively safe? Sure. I've never heard of someone being shot while blowing down an empty barrel. Would I suggest that someone do it or show it to my children? Nope.

I think with me, it's more the principal of the act rather than a safety issue. You either point unloaded guns at people or you don't.

P.S.
While you have to put your hands in front of the barrel when loading, you don't have to stick it in your mouth. :)

With all due respect,... it's the gun someone "thinks" is unloaded, thet kills.

With a single-shot muzzleloader,... you "know" it's unloaded after it "fires" (ball leaves the barrel), and will remain thet way 'til it's "re-loaded"!!

I've mentioned before,.... "if in doubt, simply drop the marked ramrod, down the bore'!! (even a dry-ball will "show" itself)

I do agree thet it is better to be "overly cautious" then to risk an accident.
If I "know" my rifle is unloaded, I don't expect others to take my word for it, and act accordingly!! (what else can a man do, 'cept miss tha "shoot"??) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kids learn by example...

Through the eyes of a child, "If daddy sticks a gun's barrel in his mouth, then it must be OK for me to do it..."

It's bad enough that TV is teaching our kids unwanted behaviour, WE, as responsible adults do not need to add to the list...

If you must blow down a barrel and a kid is watching, you better take the time to explain HOW, WHY and WHEN you are to do this. and on WHAT TYPE of guns require this action...

Don't let them walk away thinking it is safe to blow down ALL gun barrels, take this moment to teach...

....I hate being coddled by all the well-meaning do-gooders. Nuff said...

I got to agree with most of what TwoShadows has ta say on this subject ceptin' that part about "well-meaning do-gooders". There ain't no such thing as a "well-meaning" do-gooder. I never met one yet that was willing to listen to anything but his own opinion. Besides, most of 'em is too long winded ta suit me. Ta each his own; if ya want ta blow down yer barrel, go ahead and do er. Been my experience that most people got too many problems of their own ta worry about mine.

I suspect one could easily devise an offset devise for handleing powder, patch and ball and rammer and cleaning gear so the hand was neve exposed to the end of the bore, and such a device could have a safety release so if the gun discharged it would not take the hand along, but the risk of a gun going off while cleaning or loading must be deemed low enough to make this not worth the time I guess.

I seem to recall seeing a hooked rammer for Civil War cannons, to place the man ramming the charge out of the line of sight of the muzzle...

This could work for muzzleloading firearms, of course all of the guns will look like they belong to Miss Bo-Peep...

Back