• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blowin patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keppy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Cabela's 54 cal.rifle ,28 inch barrel. I shoot a 527 ball with walmart pillow ticking. blue and white. Its about 22 thousands thick. I load 60grs of Goex 3F. Now this is my hunting load and I limit my shots to 50yds. Its a very accurate load. I hunt Minnesota in in late Nov. and early Dec. so I have been using olive oil for patch lube. I have been out shooting off and on this summer and fall. I always collect the patches if I can to see what they look like. I notice that about 1 out of 4 or 5 will be blowin out about half cicle. Could this be caused by seating the ball right at the end of the barrel where it narrows? 60 grs would bring it up past that point I would think.The rest of them look good and could be used again. Your thoughts on this please and thanks.

Hacksaw said:
I have a Cabela's 54 cal.rifle ,28 inch barrel. I shoot a 527 ball with walmart pillow ticking. blue and white. Its about 22 thousands thick. I load 60grs of Goex 3F. Now this is my hunting load and I limit my shots to 50yds. Its a very accurate load. I hunt Minnesota in in late Nov. and early Dec. so I have been using olive oil for patch lube. I have been out shooting off and on this summer and fall. I always collect the patches if I can to see what they look like. I notice that about 1 out of 4 or 5 will be blowin out about half cicle. Could this be caused by seating the ball right at the end of the barrel where it narrows? 60 grs would bring it up past that point I would think.The rest of them look good and could be used again. Your thoughts on this please and thanks.
One simple quick way to begin "problem determination" on this problem, is to either use an Oxyoke prelubed wonderwad over the powder as a firewall...or even just seat a spare lubed patch down on the powder first as a firewall.

Then seat the patched ball and shoot a few groups...if you're still finding blown patches you'll know it's not being caused by the fire.

You may also want to switch patching material. I switched to Cotton Drill cloth and I've not had a blown patch since.

It is not widely known, but patches have a shelf life, especially if they are pre lubed with an animal or vegetable fat based lube. Being natural and organic, the lube starts to deterioriate--rot, if you will--and the cloth patch loses its strength right along with the lube breaking down. I pre lubed some pillow ticking with bear oil one time, and a buddy and I were shooting some patches that were about 4 months old. All of a sudden we both had smoking patches. We finally caught one just as it hit the ground, and noticed that the patch was actually splitting and the edges of the tear were catching on fire and burning a round hole in the patch. We changed to some fresh ticking and lubed as we went and the problem instantly disappeared. The Big Hammer

I haven't done the math on your ball/patch combo, but that ball is pretty "skinny" compared to what I use in my 54's. I use a .530 /w .018 patch in one and .535 /w .015 in the other. whether or not the extra .004 in your patch thickness is enough to compensate for that .527 ball is a question I would try to solve if I was using it in my own. An easy way to check would be to pick up one of those 25-packs of Hornady .530 balls and try them with some other patches, too.

As others have indicated, I'd also experiment with your lube. I haven't run across olive oil being used by itself as lube, though I have heard it as an ingredient with other components. My experience cooking with olive oil tells me it's pretty sensitive to heat, so that makes me suspicious. Sure would smell good though!

I use only spittled patches 0,25 mm thick in my .54 Investarms Hawken with 85 grs swiss no 2 bp.No patch is blowin.

Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Kirrmeister

IMHO you need a larger ball. Try a .530 ball & a .018 patch or a .535 ball & a .015 patch.

First time I ever heard of WalMart having that thick of pillow ticking. All I have ever seen there varied from .011 to .016

Thanks to all of you. I will try the extra patch on the powder charge. And as for the olive oil as lube I find that some of the other lubes freeze.I have a Bee's wax, olive oil, crisco and murphy's combo that works well in the summer. Its a late hunt here in Minnesota and cold. As for the patch material it is about a year old, but I don't lube it until the day I shoot. I don't want to change the ball size. I feel don't fix it, if it ain't broke. I have 3 inch group at 50yds. Thanks

You may find you get a BETTER group at 50 yds with a bigger ball. 3" is not that good a group at 50 yds., no offence meant. But you should be able to get groups half that size with the right combo.

Rebel
I understand what your saying and there has been times when the groups are golf ball size. But with my eyes the way they are I feel pretty good about these groups. Thanks for the reply.
Hacksaw

Yea, this gettin' old ain't all it was cracked up to be, is it? :grin: The GOLDEN YEARS seem to be more lead than golden. :grin:

Hacksaw said:
"...I will try the extra patch on the powder charge..."
I simply center a spare patch over the muzzle then using something small like a screwdrive tip I push it in the middle of the patch to start it down the bore...the excess material will pucker up all around the walls of the bore, which is exactly where you want the excess to be...seat it down by itself with the ramrod...then seat the patched ball.

Thanks Roundball. You have mentioned this firewall thing many times before. I will try it this weekend. Will let you all know. Thanks

roundball said:
Hacksaw said:
"...I will try the extra patch on the powder charge..."
I simply center a spare patch over the muzzle then using something small like a screwdrive tip I push it in the middle of the patch to start it down the bore...the excess material will pucker up all around the walls of the bore, which is exactly where you want the excess to be...seat it down by itself with the ramrod...then seat the patched ball.
Roundball
I was shooting this afternoon and all went well. The extra patch did the trick.I do shoot a smaller ball in the my 54 cal. most of you. But it loads easy and I feel it shoots very well for deer.
I feel that it may not fit as tight and that is what causes the blownin patches.I tried some denin jean material today. It loaded hard and there were not one blowin patch. I know I could have used those patches over. So thanks again.

Just as an additional bit of info, I recently tried the Traditions brand of wonderwads under my PRB. I had been noticing my patches were starting to tear around where they would engage the rifling as I worked my loads up from 70grFFg Triple Seven to 90 grains in my .50 cal Traditions Hawken. Accuracy at 90 grains was no screamin heck (about 5"), given this rifle will put three balls in one hole at 50 yards using a 70 grain load.

As an experiment I loaded up some 90-grain loads with the Traditions wonderwads under them and was able to produce groups in the 1.5" centre-to-centre range, certainly adequate for deer hunting. So, use of the over-powder wad made quite a difference for me, both in improving accuracy and improving my ability to re-use patches! LoL (heck, I've even been able to find some of the wads and re-use them, which is a good thing given their price!)

Back