• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blowing Down Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BPCR shooters blow down their barrels to soften fouling too.... again, nothing to do with embers. Many use blow tubes at the breech, as do I If I'm shooting off of sticks. If I'm shooting offhand I just blow down the muzzle , just like using a ML.
BLOWING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EMBERS! :shake:

Ideas change. These days some of us think it is advantageous to blow down the bore immediately after firing, introducing moisture in order to soften the fouling, but I see exactly the opposite idea discussed in the old literature. Some of them were concerned about even a little moisture in the bore damaging the next load, and I don't think they would have considered it wise to blow down the bore for that reason.

Markland, 1727:

"SEE: A Cock-Pheasant sprung! He mounts_he's down!
ӬTrust to your Dogs! Quick, quick_Recharge your GunӬ
Before the Air gets in and damps the Room!Ӭ
The Chamber hot will to the Powder giveӬ
A Benefit, and will the same receive.Ӭ
The open Touch-hole, too, if haste you make,Ӭ
Its little fatal Train will freelier take.Ӭ
Oft have I seen th' undocumented Swain
ӬFeath'ring the Parts and cleansing off the Pan
ӬUntil the cooling Piece grew moist again.Ӭ
The tardy Charge wiped that cold Sweat away_Ӭ
And grew itself half Wild-fire by the way."

Cleator, 1789:

"When the piece is fired, it should, if possible, be re-loaded immediately, whilst the barrel is warm, lest by delaying it, a certain moisture should be formed in the barrel, which would retain a part of the powder when pouring in the charge and hinder it from falling to the bottom.
Powder, also, as already mentioned, will imbibe moisture from the air, and therefore it is of additional advantage, to load the piece whilst the barrel is warm, because some part of the moisture will be thereby evaporated."

Of course, they were aware of the safety aspect, too. Markland, again:

"A BLOOMING Youth, who had just passed the Boy,
The Father's only Child and only Joy,
As he, intent, design'd the Larks his Prey,
Himself as sweet and innocent as They,
The fatal Powder in the Porch of Death,
Having in vain discharg'd its Flash of Breath,
The tender Reas'ner, curious to know,
Whether the Piece were really charg'd or no,
With Mouth to Mouth apply'd began to blow_
A dreadful Kiss! For now the silent Bane
Had bor'd a Passage thro' the whizzing Train_
The Shot all rent his Skull, and dashed around his Brain!"

Spence

I never shoot at a range. And I always blow down the barrel. I just like to see the smoke come out. It's the small things that make life good. :) Larry Wv

I've followed the disciplines of 10 Commandments of Gun Safety all my life...and I'm glad I have because after 66 years on the planet I know that $%#@&# happens no matter how good I might think I am.
So speaking for myself, anytime I'm actively involved in a live fire/loading/shooting/range/hunting environment...especially with muzzleloaders and black powder...I really live by these two in particular:

Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
(I don't intentionally put my head over a muzzle)

Don't rely on your gun's safety.
(I always use Kap Kovers or Hammer Stalls as additional safeties)

This is just me, others mileage may vary as they see fit

George said:
Ideas change. These days some of us think it is advantageous to blow down the bore immediately after firing, introducing moisture in order to soften the fouling, but I see exactly the opposite idea discussed in the old literature. Some of them were concerned about even a little moisture in the bore damaging the next load, and I don't think they would have considered it wise to blow down the bore for that reason.

Markland, 1727:

Cleator, 1789:

"When the piece is fired, it should, if possible, be re-loaded immediately, whilst the barrel is warm, lest by delaying it, a certain moisture should be formed in the barrel, which would retain a part of the powder when pouring in the charge and hinder it from falling to the bottom.
Powder, also, as already mentioned, will imbibe moisture from the air, and therefore it is of additional advantage, to load the piece whilst the barrel is warm, because some part of the moisture will be thereby evaporated."

Spence

and in 1822 John J Audobon wrote this...
”¦ He blows through his rifle to ascertain that it is clear, examines his flint, and thrusts a featther into the touch-hole. To a leatthern bag swung at his side is attached a powder-horn; his sheath-knife is there also; below hangs a narrow strip of homespun linen. He takes from his bag a bullet, pulls with his teeth the wooden stopper from his powder-horn, lays the ball in one hand, and with the other pours the powder upon it until it is just overtopped. Raising the horn to his mouth, he again closes it with the stopper, and restores it to its place. He introduces the powder into the tube; springs the box of his gun, greases the "patch" over with some melted tallow, or damps it; then places it on the honey-combed muzzle of his piece. The bullet is placed on the patch over the bore, and pressed with the handle of the knife, which now trims the edge of the linen. The elastic hickory rod, held with both hands, smoothly pushes the ball to its bed; once, twice, thrice has it rebounded. The rifle leaps as it were into the hunters arms, the feather is drawn from the touch-hole, the powder fills the pan, which is closed. “Now I’m ready,” cries the woodsman”¦."

LaBonte said:
George said:

Markland, 1727:

Cleator, 1789:

Spence

”¦ He blows through his rifle to ascertain that it is clear, examines his flint, and thrusts a featther into the touch-hole. To a leatthern bag swung at his side is attached a powder-horn; his sheath-knife is there also; below hangs a narrow strip of homespun linen. He takes from his bag a bullet, pulls with his teeth the wooden stopper from his powder-horn, lays the ball in one hand, and with the other pours the powder upon it until it is just overtopped. Raising the horn to his mouth, he again closes it with the stopper, and restores it to its place. He introduces the powder into the tube; springs the box of his gun, greases the "patch" over with some melted tallow, or damps it; then places it on the honey-combed muzzle of his piece. The bullet is placed on the patch over the bore, and pressed with the handle of the knife, which now trims the edge of the linen. The elastic hickory rod, held with both hands, smoothly pushes the ball to its bed; once, twice, thrice has it rebounded. The rifle leaps as it were into the hunters arms, the feather is drawn from the touch-hole, the powder fills the pan, which is closed. “Now I’m ready,” cries the woodsman”¦."
Thank you. :bow:

LaBonte said:
George said:

Markland, 1727:

Cleator, 1789:

Spence

"then places it on the honey-combed muzzle of his piece."
:confused: Could someone please explain what is meant by honey-combed?

Well I did kinda of speed read, but I didn't miss it. I was impressed by the wisdom in bold print. :grin:

Your right, YMMV, :wink:

tecum-tha said:
And I think we should stop the blowing down the barrel discussion in this thread.

Few subjects cause as much controversy as the pro and con of blowing down the barrel.

We all know that the NMLRA fobade blowing down the barrel only because it looked scarey to their liability insurance lawyers.

I am going to do everything I can to prevent this cancer from spreading to other organizations and events, and causing avoidable injury to my fellow shooters.I sincerely feel that forbidding the practice actually HARMS people, because I am one person who feels blowing down the barrel extinguishes residual embers lurking in the crud at the bottom of a barrel. Powder manufacturers put right on their containers that you should ensure no residual embers are present BEFORE putting more powder down the barrel.

Blowing down the barrel is not a mindless ritual. You watch the smoke coming from the vent or touch hole, it should blossom and disappear. if it doesn't, or if it crackles, hisses and pops, then you know you have a problem. If you get no smoke, you have an obstruction and, again, you have a problem. A rubber tube cannot, I believe, ever equal the sensitivity of directly blowing down the barrel.

This ban on blowing down the barrel is personal. A year ago, I moved to a new town. After years of not belonging to an organized club, I joined an NMLRA-affiliated club. To support the club, I chose to shoot in a match, not because I thought I would win, I know better, but just to support the club. I fired my flinter once, automatically immediately blew down the barrel and was startled by a bellowed, "Never do that again!' command. I was flustered but reloaded - and the rifle refused to fire. The vent had been completely plugged after firing the last shot by threads of unburnt patching. I never leave anything in the bore after cleaning except a little oil. I don't know how the patching remained in the breech. I just know that now I had the danger and hassle of pulling a load that I think was completely avoidable if I had been permitted to blow down the barrel and discover the obstruction, AND this obstruction consisted of fuse-like lengths of cloth just waiting to smolder away and ignite the next load of powder.

------------
Flintlock, round balls, and black powder - Life is Sweet

lonehunter said:
I presume he is referring to the octagonal shape of the barrel. It resembles the cells of a honeycomb, although the honeycomb only has 6 sides, not 8.

Spence

George said:
lonehunter said:
I presume he is referring to the octagonal shape of the barrel. It resembles the cells of a honeycomb, although the honeycomb only has 6 sides, not 8.

Spence

I've also seen some hex shaped bores. :idunno:

Jethro224 said:
George said:
lonehunter said:

Spence

I've also seen some hex shaped bores. :idunno:
:thumbsup:

Please explain for I am a little slow. Intellectually challenged some might say! I don't blow down the barrel ever, so far, but if the gun has already been shot, how could anything be left to 'explode' some more? The only thing I see left is black gunk.

BTW, I believe in, and apply, your two rules of safety whether at a range or in the backyard. :wink:

Was wondering this myself, unless a grain or two became moist somehow with oil or a string from the patch were stuck after the shot. I also wonder if there were any residual powder or patch, why blowing down the barrel would clear (versus assist in clogging) the touch hole as some have mentioned?

ebiggs said:
b]if the gun has already been shot, how could anything be left to 'explode'[/b]

As I understand...and share...the feelings of some, that's actually not the main point.

Its the worry...no matter how remote...that getting into a habit of putting your head over a muzzle in any kind of live fire, loading, shooting, reloading, environment, particularly with other distractions around, could possibly result in putting your head over the muzzle of a loaded gun...I think some examples have already been given in the thread.

I have no interest in what others do or why...and don't feel it's anyone's place to try to convince others to do something a different way and I waste no time doing that.
I merely mentioned what "I" do and why...my belief is that if I follow a strict discipline of muzzle control as I wrote further up above, I'll never have an accident that would hurt me.

I'm a simple man and follow the 'KISS' approach...others should continue to blow down their barrels as they wish.

:v

Though I'm a "blower" I have to agree with you that it's possible to develop a careless attitude toward safety by doing this. A muzzleloader is not JUST a muzzleloader; it's a serious weapon that deserves respect.

I could be wrong, but did blowing down the barrel come from battle tactics where they had to fire rapidly with much less potent powder than we have today? I've tried it, and found spent black powder tastes awful! :barf:

Back