• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blue Grouse Underhammer Rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprayinbear

36 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm:
I recently found the web site for Blue Grouse Underhammer Rifles and kits. Prices are great.... and I am somewhat intrigued by the style. Has anyone ever bought from these folks? They make some big claims about accuracy. Just wondering.

Aim Small, Miss Small! :v

They haven't had underhammer guns in years now. I don't know if they're even in business anymore. I was very interested in their guns too, only to find out I had a snowball's chance at getting one. :(

I have a Hopkins and Allen :blah: . That said, I did get a reply from Blue Grouse in September - it had a lot of information in it, but could not determine if they were still selling any parts at that time.

The feeling I got is they might still have some parts - but it was only a feeling. The email did mention other sources of barrels etc... which could be used to assemble a rifle.
---
Ok, I apologize about rubbing it in - I just replaced the rear sight on it and was sighting it in yesterday. Mine is quite old, back when it was sold as a rifle, rather than a kit from Gun Parts of America.

Bruce, at Blue Grouse, hasn't had rifles available for quite a while. Parts, maybe, I don't know. Deer Creek parts in Waldron, Indiana did have parts and whole rifles and may still have them available. They don't have a web site but they are listed in the phone book.
Mark

Does any one know if Pacific Firearms is still producing the under hammers, my 8 bore came from them a few years ago, expensive but quality

Heck, if I had one, I'd be rubbing it in too! :haha:

For many years I had considered underhammers to be the ugly ducklings of the muzzleloading world and wouldn't buy one, so I did that to myself. It wasn't until I began spending time here and seeing the nice ones these folks have, and learning more about them, that I really began to crave one.

Dav: Pacific is still in business, although founder Roger Renner is no longer involved. I am happy to report that I have a Pacific Zephyr in .62 headed my way. Please post photos of your 8-bore!

I bought an Underhammer from Blue Grouse in 2006. The packaging was so piss poor that the rifle was in pieces when it arrived. The stock was broken, ramrod bent, and both sights knocked off the barrel. Lingenfelter filed a claim with UPS and got $100, then sent me a replacement buttstock (worth $30) that won't fit without a lot of work. He was vulgar over the phone and unwilling to makes things right. I was contacted by another customer of his whose rifle was a piece of junk when it arrived and had to sue him in Small Claims court before Blue Grouse (Bruce Lingenfelter) would settle. He was fortunate to live within driving distance of where Lingenfelter does business. I live in Michigan and was unable to go after the cheating liar or I would have. I have also seen things on the internet where Lingenfelter us an admitted felon. Deal with him at your own risk!

I had gotten several rifles from blue grouse thru the years and never had any problems. They always came dropped shipped directly from Deer Creek and not from blue grouse He had always been super to deal with. I had a bad trigger and hammer was brittle so I contacted Deer Creek and they mailed out new parts within 1 week great customer service. When I talked to her on the phone"Deer Creek" she said that Blue Grouse had sold more than 300 underhammer kits within a couple years I'd say pretty good volume for a one guy operation. I tried to get a underhammer for my nephew thru blue grouse January 2008 and he had a backorder of 12-15 guns. I contacted Deer Creek directly and the gal that answered the phone said they were looking into retiring and would supply parts for warranty but no complete guns any longer. So I really feel Blue grouse got a bad name because his supplier kinda pulled the rug out from him and left him with orders to be filled that he could not complete. From time to time Joe at The Gun Works in Springfield OR has some actions....GTC

You can defend Blue Grouse (Bruce (the felon)Lingenfelter) only because you did not have a problem with him. May the good Lord above help you if you do! All he does is take orders and have the rifles drop shipped. At least now that he is out of the basic rifles there will be fewer people for him to fleece. He also whips up underhammers at home on his lathe. Good luck if you get one and do not like it. The one gentleman that had to sue in court to get his refund had the same abusive and shoddy treatment that I did. Deal with Bruce Lingenfelter (Blue Grouse) at your own risk!

Back