• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blue Moon Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410-er

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to the area I normally hunt rifle.Scouted it after the snow 2 weeks ago and saw only 2 sets of tracks on the hill.Figured it was a doe and young.Hunted three times this muzzy season and only saw squirrels.Tonite I went out at 3:00 and saw only Squirrel and fox tracks.No deer tracks.Didn't look good at all.Was about 15' up in my Tree Lounge and after 1 1/2 hrs in the stand,I didn't even see a squirrel tonite.Checked my watch and it was 4:45.Look in front of me and there he was.Rack and enough pts to be legal.He spied me as I spied him.Had the Great Plains in 54cal cradled across my arm.Pulled the hammer back,CLICK.He stood there,Very slowly I wheeled the barrel across my shooting rail.He still was staring at me.Lined up the sights with his shoulder.Squeezed the set trigger,CLICK.Sights were where they were suposed to be so BOOM!He turned and ran tail up.Disgusted that I must have hit a twig and missed an easy 30 yds shot.Lowered the gun,locked up the stand and went lookin.Followed the tracks that showed he was having trouble but no blood.At 50yds,nothing but he wasn'y going up hill.Thought manbe I hit leg.Looked ahead and there he was.Had 11 1/2" spread.Not a monster but a good one.Pic has no tag on because it was just as I walked up to him.
Medicine was 54 cal Lyman GPR with a .530 RB,.020 Blue stripe pillow lubed with Stumpy Moose Juice,and 100grs of FFg.
4232576046_f469d653b2.jpg

4231803007_7afac9d5e8.jpg

4232569694_5c01e8853f.jpg

Hey 410-er,
Congrats on a nice looking buck the old fashioned way! Way to hang in there so late in the day. That shot looks like it may have caught just a bit too much shoulder bone, especially from 15' up in the air. Mind if I ask you where/if the bullet exited? Curious if the bullet got to the vitals or if bone shards went to his heart or lungs.
Finnwolf

I was 15' up but he was across the ravine from me.Almost straight across.Hit about 2" lower and 2" front than I wanted.Butchering tomorrow.Might be the 1st RB I recover.No exit.

410-er says; Not a monster but a good one.

They are not always monsters but they are always GOOD ones!!!!!!!!

Good job on your kill. You accomplished exactly what you set out to do. You story and photos are a nice touch to a years end.

Steve

Good going. Gives the rest of us still hunting the incentive to get out there. I'll be out this afternoon.

410-er said:
I was 15' up but he was across the ravine from me.Almost straight across.Hit about 2" lower and 2" front than I wanted.Butchering tomorrow.Might be the 1st RB I recover.No exit.

That explains it! I was wondering how the trajectory played into the shot. Be interesting to see if that RB got thru the bone to a vital or just turned it into dozens of projectiles.

Finnwolf

410-er said:
Had the Great Plains in 54cal cradled across my arm.Pulled the hammer back,CLICK.He stood there,Very slowly I wheeled the barrel across my shooting rail.He still was staring at me.Lined up the sights with his shoulder.Squeezed the set trigger,CLICK.

You probably already know but lots of folks here who can tell you how to control your hammer and trigger so you wont make those clicks anymore. A monster probably knows what clicks mean and might be outta there. Could save you a bigger trophy some day. He's a very nice buck though! Congrats again!

Finnwolf

Congrats! I'm looking forward to the internal ballistics if and when you figure it out too. :grin:

Very nice buck, I'd be proud to get one, nothin yet for me. Congratulations and thanks for a good story. :hatsoff:

Well,hopes of finding the ball,gone.Got pass thru.Looked again today for blood there.Found 2 specks about 50yds from shot then very little where he stood to die.When he colapsed,he slid down hill about 15 yds.
4234838928_622e2ed663.jpg

4234067537_7637c17cb0.jpg

wow what a shot he must have gushed when you dressed him. My oldest boy and I am on my way out to the stands hope to get the firsts of the new decade.

Back