• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blunderbuss identity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pappasue

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi
I have these 2 guns on this board and I was wondering if anyone knows what they are? I have taken them off the board and there are no identifying marks.
Thank you
Jim Link

I can tell you one thing the locks are snaphaunces.
I am actually building one of the locks.

I dont know exacly what those would date to? not familiar with the style, Some others may be more helpful on this subject.

The lock dates from about 1550-somewhere in the mid 19th century

jim322ps said:
OF
Thank you for the reply.
Jim

Sir - at the risk of sounding offensive they look like typical 60's wall decorations to me, and that's the least upsetting thing I could say. The reason for me saying that is that they are way too much alike, as well as unlikely candidates for actual firearms.

This, of course, is just my $0.02, and if crow pie is on the menu, I'm prepared, as ever, to eat my fill of it.

The 'aging' looks very iffy to me, as does the tacky brass overlay on the barrel. If they were for real, these would have been VERY expensive to make, and would not have been fitted with such dire-looking furniture. The dire and tacky-looking backing board with the painted-on 'texture' would at least serve to start up the next backyard bonfire.

Well, that's another poster alienated for life [sigh] - and another Christmas card I won't be getting....[more sighs]

BTW - anybody here actually ever seen a snaphaunce lock blunderbuss?

tac, the professional cynic and all-round alienator.

OK let me get a little deeper into this, these guns were decor in a party house since the 50's and the owner of the party house was an antique buyer and collector as well as quite wealthy. I am also very skeptical about these pieces but that doesn't mean there weren't some real parts used to make them. I have been shooting and gun collecting long enough to know a little bit about them but through researching these for years I have been unable to find anything like them. I grew up in the 60's and don't remember seeing anything like this, maybe wrong part of country, lol.
thank you for the reply.
Jim

Look like pretty typical North African (Morocco?) made pieces for the tourist trade - probably 1950's - parts could be "real" but still tourist pieces.

Hi
Can you point me in a direction where they are sold or shown? Let me add there was a very old India matchlock complete firearm and some civil war pieces in this collection (5 second fuzes) so there was some very collectable items.
Thank you
Jim

jim322ps said:
OK let me get a little deeper into this, these guns were decor in a party house since the 50's and the owner of the party house was an antique buyer and collector as well as quite wealthy. I am also very skeptical about these pieces but that doesn't mean there weren't some real parts used to make them. I have been shooting and gun collecting long enough to know a little bit about them but through researching these for years I have been unable to find anything like them. I grew up in the 60's and don't remember seeing anything like this, maybe wrong part of country, lol.
thank you for the reply.
Jim

Jim, Sir - these things are decor tack. Believe me on this one.

If you have any doubts, go and see a REAL flintlock blunderbuss and compare the difference. In fact, go see ANY genuine firearms from the period those things purport to be from, and you'll see what I mean.

One poster has mentioned Med/North African tourist tack. I'll add that I agree.

tac [not tack]

Tac
Any idea on value? My guns are mostly shooters for hunting so this old stuff is out of my league. I am not doubting the posters on here there is no reason for anyone to lie to me.
Thank you
Jim

LaBonte is probably correct. They do look like North Aftican "tourist" pieces. The design; short stock blunderbuss is often called a "Dag." The locks were locally made and installed on all kinds of North African muzzle loaders right up till the 20th century. Most of these guns were ceremonial or status pieces rather than working guns. Many could be and were fired. Your guns may be made from formerly functioning but then obsolite firearms. If you remove the barrels from the stocks you can inspect the barrel's breeching and look for proof marks showing origin of manufacture.

I was thinking Ive never seen a stock like that, but the locks seemed like recycled african locks...but didnt really wanna say anything if it wasnt true.

Just some idle thoughts.

If these guns are African "tourist" pieces I find it interesting that a Snaphaunce lock would be used.

The Snaphaunce lock seems to date from the 1530'ish time frame, almost 100 years before the first true flintlock (1620) according to Torsten Lenk in "THE FLINTLOCK Its Origin, Development, and Use"
Although Torsten feels the Snaphaunce was originally of Spanish origin which could explain locks of this form in Africa, I would think the later Miquelet style lock would have been more widely known and would have been a more likely candidate for these guns.

As I haven't studied the history of the Blunderbuss except to know it was often used as a Coach gun and a Naval weapon in the Flintlock era I must ask, was such a weapon used in the mid 17th Century when the Snaphaunce lock was common?

Getting to the value of these items based on their condition and questionable origin I doubt that they are worth a great deal.
Probably best guessed at what someone is willing to spend for an interesting wall hanger.

Ive seen separate locks and parts sell for more than the piece its on...... If a sale price is wanted sell the locks and toss the rest...... just my opinion......

but if you like them hang them! you wont regret it!

Z
Well your observations are the track I am on. These guns seem to have some very old parts assembled into these pieces. I have a idea they are worth $500-1,000 as a hanging piece. Am I far off in your opinion?
I thought that if these parts were real they might be worth around $1000 ea.
Thank you
Jim

OF
Like I told Z I have the same thoughts you have on these pieces, some real parts put with other pieces to form what we see here. I think they are worth $500-1,000. Is that close to your thoughts?
Thank you
Jim

$150 to $350 a piece in todays market. You'll probably wait a long time to sell them at those prices.

No offense to you intended Jim, but I think Mike is being generous in his estimate. It is very doubtful that any of the parts are "original", they probably date to the post WW2 era.

I am sry I meant $500 to 1000 for the pair which is close to your $150-350 ea call. I know a place where people come with more money than..... well lets just say they spend their money.
Thank you
Jim

Back