• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A while back, a fellow asked me to build him a brass barreled blunderbuss.  I took on the task reluctantly because of my work schedule.  However, he said he wasn't in a rush, so I took the job.  I told him the first step was getting a barrel out of Ed Rayl, which might take some time.  It did, but Ed eventually got me a couple of 10 gage brass barrels, one 20 inches long and another, for this customer, 18 inches long.  The barrels showed up a month before Christmas.

The fellow I am building this for really liked the muzzle rings I had added to a few of Ed's 4 gage barrels in both steel and in brass, one of which was to my own 4 gage blunderbuss.  So, I rough machined the two brass rings, silver brazed them to the barrel, and then machined them in place to their final configuration.

Anyway, here are some photos of the barrel work.........

Machining the rough muzzle ring...........

IMG_1320_zpsldmpqvn0.jpg

IMG_1322_zpsjeqvqnal.jpg

Getting ready to braze the rings in place.........

IMG_1324_zpsjj2t1unk.jpg

Brazing...............

IMG_1325_zpsuq8ag5vp.jpg

First machining of the rings on the barrel........

IMG_1330_zpsjcngjlew.jpg

Finished........

IMG_1331_zpsfcaq8y7f.jpg

Polished.........

IMG_1333_zps7vcjxsie.jpg

IMG_1332_zpsaahmwsit.jpg

Progress is slow, but here are the next steps.......

Made a few sketches of the profile.  This is the final selection.....

Sean%20BB%201_zpsrrlkowkg.jpg

Cut out the stock profile....left the butt long for now but will cut it to the correct length once the barrel and lock are in place......

Sean%20BB%202_zps0l1f9yoq.jpg

Sean%20BB%203_zpsryqloy8d.jpg

Polished up several of the brass parts........

Sean%20BB%204_zpsfwav1ghv.jpg

Sean%20BB%205_zpsfrombczf.jpg

Refining the detail on the side plate.....not quite finished yet.....

Sean%20BB%206_zpsomf7u8bc.jpg

Well, it's been since February since I had a chance to work much on the blunderbuss......work, medical issues, travel....life !  But here is some recent progress for anyone interested in a blunderbuss.

Next step was to have Dave Rase inlet the barrel and drill the ram rod hole for me......(I don't do these by hand any longer - Dave is just too good at this to pass up his expertise.)

IMG_1442_zpsljgx6oq2.jpg

IMG_1444_zpsxzgmr2ko.jpg

Next I planed the stock to a good starting width to get rid of a lot of excess wood......

IMG_1448_zps2cglvhnp.jpg

The entire lock is not in yet, but the plate is.......

Sean%20BB%209_zpszd7db1py.jpg

My two least favorite tasks are the rear ramrod pipe and the butt plate.  I started with the butt plate......

Sean%20BB%207_zpsd1xuehfs.jpg

Sean%20BB%208_zpsmchj5wld.jpg

Then I took off the extra wood on the underside of the butt.....

Sean%20BB%2010_zpsctrzinkf.jpg

Current state of progress.......

Sean%20BB%2011_zps8jyvtf3t.jpg

Little at a time......had some time to shape and inlet the barrel tang today and make the barrel under lugs.  Next is finishing the lock inletting.

Sean%20BB%2012_zpsewyhqhik.jpg

Back at it......Got the ram rod pipes in place.....

Sean%20BB%2014_zpsof89txaa.jpg

Made up the heavy duty barrel lugs by silver soldering the blade to the base and then used a lower temp silver bearing solder to mount the lugs to the barrel.  These are the rough lugs.....

Sean%20BB%2013_zpsblp1hh6m.jpg

Then the lugs were final shaped, inletted, and drilled.  The forward lug has a 0.125 inch diameter hole to accommodate a 5-40 sling swivel screw.....

Sean%20BB%2015_zpsznchijaj.jpg

Sean%20BB%2016_zpsbjle0dum.jpg

Off to polish and engrave the lock now.

Lock internals inletted.......

Sean%20BB%2018_zps8gu41afm.jpg

Lock in place.......

Sean%20BB%2019_zpsajiiveke.jpg

Trigger pivot support silver soldered to the trigger plate. The trigger is the next part to go in.....

Sean%20BB%2020_zpsb1octvbn.jpg

Trigger and trigger guard going into place. This will be the last thing that I need to keep the stock square for. As soon as the trigger guard is inletted and pinned, I will start knocking off any wood that doesn't look like a blunderbuss. This is the part in a build that I really enjoy.....a little time with a spoke shave, plane, rasps, etc., and the gun goes from looking like a plank to looking and feeling like.....well.....a gun.

IMG_1900_zpssx26inb6.jpg

The side plate details have all been finalized.....only final polishing remaining. Here the lock bolts have been installed and the side plate is located and ready for inletting......

IMG_1902_zps4ymvnau1.jpg

Over all, I'm not fast....but I'm not slow either.......I'm just sort of "half fast"......

inished all the inletting (except for the side plate) and pinning, so it was time to take the plank with all the parts it is and start knocking off anything that didn't look like a blunderbuss.  Here it is still in the "plank phase".......(the tang screw is just a temporary while I adjusted the trigger).

Sean%20BB%2022_zpshoafxrlo.jpg

Sean%20BB%2025_zpsm5pfw5ap.jpg

Sean%20BB%2024_zpscicuapcc.jpg

Sean%20BB%2023_zpsuppplcyn.jpg

A couple of hours later, with a spoke shave and a couple of gouges, it looked a little better.  By the way, all the stuff on the deck is what didn't look like a blunderbuss to me........

Sean%20BB%2021_zpsfx3aif6h.jpg

Sean%20BB%2027_zpshipjoze8.jpg

Still a lot of fine shaping to do but 95% of the stock removal is now complete.....then the carving and the engraving and the finishing.  Like I said.....half fast.....

Well, after many months of time off from gun making to make a living, I am in the final stages of finishing two of three commissions.  This one was fairly far along when I had to ring up all stop for a bit.  All the inletting was done except for the side plate which, as you can see, is not one of the simpler shapes to deal with.

Sean%20BB%20Sideplate%201_zpsp2sco8og.jpg

I do the outline mostly with a very pointy carving knife (but for this kind of complex shape I really should try the "stab in" method).

Sean%20BB%20Sideplate%202_zpsq1krhcsl.jpg

Final inlet is very shallow.....about 1/2 the thickness of the side plate which is only about 0.100" at the thickest part.......

Sean%20BB%20Sideplate%203_zpsjmnos6gk.jpg

Wood carving and engraving are next......

PS.....this is what I was doing when I can't work on guns.....40,000 pounds of thrust.......sequestered for months at a time in the Mojave Desert......

CCtCap%20Test%20004_zpsipwnbpof.jpg

CCtCap%20Test%20001_zpshxfja2gd.jpg

Latest posts

Back