• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bob Cat 50 question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkovire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
i own a bob cat 50 cva 02. made by BPI. did i do good. only paid $50.00. its a side lock. can i put optics on it. thanks.bkododge. ps happy new year.

Some will tell you that you did good, others will tell you that you didn't. I think that you did good by getting a sidelock. That being said, you should add weight to the butt to reduce felt recoil. Optics can be added, but you likely won't need them as you should keep shots on the shy side of 100yards anyway.

I find it amazing how many people ask if they "did good" on a purchase after buying it. If you think you got a bargin then you did, If you think you wasted your money ,you did. Do you remember the story of Ben Franklin and his tin whistle? He received some money for his birthday and was off to the store to buy something with it when he saw a kid playing with a tin whistle. He really liked it, so he bought it with his money. He went home happy with his purchase (He did good).When he got home and was showing his wonderful purchase, his older brother told him he was foolish ,if he had went to the store as planned he could have bought four tin whistles for that amount of money. ( He did bad ). While many people use the phrase: "Don't pay too much for your tin whistle" to discribe this story, they ignore the fact he was happy until some one told him he had been suckered. Then he was sad. But the simple fact is purchasing the tin whistle made him happy until some one else spoke up.This being said ,if you feel you were suckered I will make you feel better by buying the gun from you for 60 dollars giving you a profit of ten dollars. Then you know you did good! :blah:

Concerning mounting some optics, I got an experience to recount for you. I tried out a "universal" kit set of mounts. The screws supplied had a big chamfer on the threads. So, when the screws bottomed out in the holes there was very, very little actual thread engagement due to so much thread being cut back on the screws' ends. The metal in the Spanish barrel was so soft that the factory threaded holes couldn't hold.
So, be sure that the screw ends are properly prepped, not out-sourced stuff irresponsibly marketed by (fill in the blank).

First, Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you joined us. :)

As for how good you did, I would say that if the bore is in good condition and the lock works like it should you got a very good deal.

Your gun at that price is an excellent starting place into the world of muzzle loading and making smoke.

As this is a Traditional Muzzleloading Forum I have to say that optics were seldom seen "back in the day" and they usually offer no real benefit unless you have severe vision problems.

Most of the muzzleloading guns available today will shoot patched lead roundballs accurately over 100 yards and out to that range the iron sights that come with the gun should work just fine.

Your .50 caliber gun should be loaded with a .490 diameter lead roundball patched with a .012-.018 thick cotton patch.
It will work with either real black powder or with one of the granular synthetic powders.
Don't bother with the powder pellets. They are expensive and they don't work well in side hammer guns.
The powder load you use can vary from 30 to 100 grains of powder measured with a volumetric powder measure. These are available in adjustable styles so you can set it for the powder load you want and lock it in that position.

You will need some percussion caps and your gun will use the #11 size.

If you are going to shoot fairly heavy powder loads (70 grains and above) you would be wise to listen to the folks that talk about adding some weight to your guns stock.
As light in weight as it is, it can give a pretty heavy kick.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have here as long as they don't involve plastic sabots or bullets with plastic on them. Solid copper bullets are also off base.

The Bobcat is a good starting point in muzzleloading. They are typically inexpensive, relativly well made and can be very accurate. I picked up a few of them at a gun show for our club to use for kids that are brought to our shoots as well as spares if a shooter has a problem. Just be certain to have it checked out for safety and condition and have fun.
Mark

mine is a sweet shooting little corn stalking gun , I took out the mule kicking by getting some modeling clay, removed the butt plate and packed the hell out of it, took about 2 lbs, now it is balanced very well and does not kick nearly as much, I also switched out the iron sights for a set of fiber optic sight . stalking corn , I needed more light transfer to the sights and this was a great choice. It likes a steady diet of 85 grains and a 190 grain hornady .490 ball. awesome shooter out to 100 yards although it is best at 50-60 yards.

Papa said:
The Bobcat is a good starting point in muzzleloading. They are typically inexpensive, relativly well made and can be very accurate. I picked up a few of them at a gun show for our club to use for kids that are brought to our shoots as well as spares if a shooter has a problem. Just be certain to have it checked out for safety and condition and have fun.
Mark
Mark said it well. My wife used one to kill her first deer this fall. 60 grains FFF .015 ticking patch around a .490 round ball. One shot one deer... :thumbsup:

Good starter gun, soon relagated to back-up. Looking for a better quaility piece for her futere use.

John

I saw that you put fiber optic sights on your bob cat. My flintlock takes the exact same sights as a caplock bobcat and i couldnt figure out what sights they are. That being said, what sights did you get? Thanks, Tim

williams firesight, they have a website and you chose riflesights and then muzzloader CVA octagon barrel.

I bought my son a Bobcat some years ago. It works just fine. I'd like to find a couple more for loaners at the range.

Racin,
I've been able to pick them up at shows for $50-$60 in good used condition. With the plastic stocks you only have to watch out for the bore condition. As for the trigger, it works or it doesn't.
Mark

It's a Ok starter ML, but once you learn the in's and out's of Muzzle loading I'd move on to a better, more reliable one

I had one it shot ok, but it would always misfire. I missed out on deer because of the it so I had to add a few grains of powder under the nipple to make sure it won't. But then the hammer won't stay in place so in frustration I busted it up into pieces.

Make sure to clean out the chamber & nipple area really good and get better non-CVA nipples.

You can purchase better nipples, sights, and ramrods from Mountain State Manufacturing or Cain's outdoors

Latest posts

Back