• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bookie's Wheellock Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made the trigger today and got it installed and working. It is basically a "Z" shaped afair. Also made and soldered a brass ball on the end to provide an "onion headed" trigger like on the original. Turns out that I did not need to lighten up the trigger pull after all. Cheers, Bookie
10BalledTrigger.jpg

Jim, Confession time....I did not order it from TRS. The kit arrived on my doorstep one fine Spring day as an unannouced gift from another member of this Forum! :thumbsup: Bookie

wow i am really touched by that thoughtful gesture makes me want to post my address hereand see if i got friends

Jim/wa,
It only works for Bookie. :bow: You got to be as smooth and sauve as Bookie. :rotf: Of course, personal visits with the queen of England for high tea doesn't hurt either, Haw, Haw! :hatsoff: :grin:
YHWH bless.
volatpluvia

Now, Leon, you're still jealous that ol' Liz asked me an' Ruth over for a little game of cribbage, aren't you? O.K., when we go over later this year, you're invited. I'll even introduce you to Odette who lives in Wimbledon. She's also pro-gun. Sir Bookie the Smooth

Well fellers, all that's left is the front sight, the butt plate and final shaping of the barrel and wood. Here's a pic of the wheelie so far. Drilling the tang nail between the trigger and the rear lock nail with only a 1/16" clearance and through the extra thick wood was daunting to say the least. But the Good Lord was watching over me and the hole was drilled with unequaled precision (for the first time in my life!) Cheers, Bookie
10TriggerGuardMounted.jpg

Bookie,
Thanks for the invite with the queen. I am confused. Nails, what nails? Talk to me, old man. :shocked2: :confused:
YHWH bless.
volatpluvia

Nails!? History 101 time. That was the old name for bolts.
Bolts were shot from cross bows. Anyhow, Leon, here is my barrel. It is the last remaining piece of one of my old big bores I had made up years ago. I rasped and filed the front top 1/2 to round this weekend. Took 2 1/2 hours. Put a wedding band on the transition similar to the original. I find that a 1" barrel is the absolute minimum you would want to use when building a wheelie with this particular lock. 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" would be far superior as the lock mortise would be much more neat and sound. Bookie
87Barrel.jpg

bookie,
Thanks for the history lesson. Nice job. I have filed from round to octagon, but never from octagon to round. I am not sure which is trickier. Is this a barrel you have forged from flat stock? I hope, I hope!
YHWH bless.
volatpluvia

BTW I drilled and tapped a hole thru my axle tonight and turned threads onto a bolt, er, nail blank this evening. I was too lazy to take pictures. I want to make the extra link tomorrow nite and fasten the chain to the axle. I will take pictures then.

i emailed the rifleshop they want 650 bucks for a assembled lock and i am not ready to tackle it on my own it will have to wait

Yes, Leon, I'm crazy enough :youcrazy: to use a home made barrel on a low quality chipmunk killer. Guess I've nothing better to do with the few remaining barrels like this, so...waste not, want not, eh? This is the last of the big calibers, though. It had been earmarked for an early Bethleham rifle-gun, but this project was felt to be more important. 'Spect I'll make the rest into family rifles one day. $650 for an ASSEMBLED lock!!! "Holy mackeral, Kingfish"!! :shocked2: Bookie

$650 a unit :redface: !A un-heat treated and un- assembled wheelie looks like a viable alternative from TRS!

It is! Just remember that you will be dealing with nearly three pounds of unlabled, raw castings. And there are no directions or even drawings.

It's fun, though.

in europe the name for a carbine stock of that shape is a paddlebutt, :bow: it was quite a common shape around 1630.are you going to put the carbine swivel on to hang it from a carbine sling?

Hi Englishman! I have taken some liberties with the project, as it is obvious that the piece was not made by a person who is familiar with this type of firearm, by stretching the stock out to accomodate a longer barrel & wrist. This will make it rifle sized because I intend on using it to hunt wild turkey with it. :v Cheers, Bookie

hi you are making a great job of the gun,i have a wheelock pistol myself .wheelocks of any type are very hard to come by in england, in reenactment of the e.c.w.s the guns are usually doglock or matchlock.please post your progress its really interesting :thumbsup:

Good morning! Nailed the butt plate on yesterday and made the trigger plate. The original was held on with a screw and I have copied. The plate curves with the wood under the wheel portion of the lock and is fastened under the front of the trigger guard. The tang nail secures both the trigger guard and trigger plate securely. Took another liberty with the triger plate by continuing the length of the plate past the rear mounting screw. This additional length is curved downward in an arc or volute to mimic the curved portion of the trigger guard that "connects" the far end of the grip rail to the rear extension of the trigger guard. The main reason for this feature is to reduce flex on the long trigger guard when your hand wraps around the wrist/guard. Since this is a personal piece for me, I did not want a possible fatigue failure of the guard later on. Perhaps this is how trigger guards evolved into the trigger bows forming a "semi-circle". Will post a photo or two soon. How about sharing a photo of your pistol? Bookie

bookkie i will look forward to your pics,my pistol is being worked on at the moment .i am making a new butt cap and a nosepiece i have made a new ramrod and tip and a ramrod pipe .when it is completed i will try to get a photo on the forum.i have copied a german wheelock that was made in suhl around 1630.

Back