• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Books for my Christmas list - Please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigmarol

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lancaster being built right now and I'm having a great time with it. This forum has been very helpful.

I keep reading references to books based on the author's name but have no clue which book or what the title/topics are.

I would appreciate a list of good solid flintlock building books and maybe some good historic reference books with pictures and details.

The family needs my Christmas list right away and I couldn't think of anything until just now! What a great gift idea!

Please include the title and author so I can pass it on to my friends and family.

Thanks.

"The Kentucky Rifle in it's Golden Age" is a great resource, but a little pricey. The Author's name escapes me. Books by Shumway are also a staple and very helpful.

Track of the Wolf has a good selection of books. Check out their sight if you haven't already.

The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle by Chuck Dixon, Dave Ehrig, and Dave Miller. It is available from Dixon's or TOTW.

Recreating the American Longrifle by Buchele, Shumway, and Alexander. I think Track sells this one too.

These books are a must have for anyone who builds or attempts to build longrifles.

Some of the best books I have found for reference were at the Lancaster library, as they are no longer in print or super expensive to buy.

You guys are quick!

I really appreciate the help. Keep em coming. I'll check in again later.

T.C. Albert's " Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch" is also sold by TOTW. As is the Sibley book on making powder horns. Both are worthwhile additions to any MLer library. If you aren't a member of the NMLRA, ask them to buy you a membership. Then you can buy a copy of " The Muzzle-Loading Rifle... Then and Now," by Walter Cline. :thumbsup:

The Gunsmith of Grenville County by Peter A. Alexander
I like the spiral cover as it can be laid open in shop...about $45.00

Two of the best reference books are "Rifles of Colonial America Vol. 1 and Vol 2" by George Shumway, not cheap but worth it.

I'd go with Recreating the American Longrifleby Buchele, Shumway and Alexander. You can't go wrong with this book.

Latest posts

Back