• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boone's rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out www.caywoodguns.com
They make one, and I believe it's a near perfect replica as the took the dimensions from a gun in Ohio.
Pricey too, but they also have some affordable great guns!

I think the Caywood gun is a Davy Crockett replica but I could be wrong. I believe Squire Boone was a gunsmith and Dan'l may have used a gun built by a family member. It seems likely he'd go through several in his lifetime.

I think the Caywood gun is a Davy Crockett replica but I could be wrong. I believe Squire Boone was a gunsmith and Dan'l may have used a gun built by a family member. It seems likely he'd go through several in his lifetime.

OOOPS Your 100% right.
those coonskin caps all look the same to me.

The NMLRA has a replica of "Ticklicker" in its museum. Only trouble is that are we sure what the original Ticklicker looked like? Boone had several guns during his lifetime.

I have seen about six guns that were suposed to have been owned by Boone.

The one at the Cumberland Gap National park is a rather generic early Lancaster style, if I remember correctly.

One was a Charliville musket and one a 12 ga fowler.

He was suposedly carrying a 10 ga fowler loaded with buckshot at the battle of Blue Licks.

His first gun was a "short rifle" that was given to him around age 13.

The popular story now is that Ticklicker was made by Squire and fired a one oz ball, .65-.66 cal.

Squire was suposed to have been appriticed to an uncle that was a gunsmith in Philly. The family was Welsh, so they would have built guns in the English tradition rather than German.

Since the family came to the colonies to escape persecution for their Quaker faith it is suprising that one of the seniors would have been a gunsmith. The elder Boones were not cast out of their Quaker faith until the children were grown.

All of this is off the top of my head at 2 am so add subtract or rearange at will!
:m2c:

Yep. Boone certainly owned several rifles during his long life, which spanned several eras of styles. He had at least three stolen by Indians in his early years in different incidents. All of the reputed Boone guns I have seen pictured look to be from late periods in his lifetime, if indeed they were his at all. Mack Farragher (Boone's best biographer) points out that for a poor man, Boone sure seemed to own alot of stuff (referring to all the items claimed by various folks to be Boone's). At least a couple of the rifles seem to be very plain working man's rifles of southern heritage. Elsewhere on this site I have pictured a plain early southern rifle by Don Bruton which is his idea of a Boone rifle of, say, 1760-1770. I really like the rifle once owned by Marshal Hooker (see his little autobio)which was supposed to be a Boone rifle. Boone's first rifle (age 12 or 13) was almost certainly an English style short rifle obtained from his gunsmith uncle in Philly. Brother Squire was indeed a gunsmith and some say he made ticklicker (which fired a ounce ball)and some say Dickert made it. The Boones started out near Reading, PA, an early site of gunmaking in the colonies, and passed through the Lancaster area on the way south to the Carolinas. Surely thet took PA rifles with them. The rifle pictured in the Bakeless bio of Boone is suspect to me, being a very late style west PA or Ohio style. Also the one pictured by Farragher is suspect as he suggests. Either Muzzleblasts or Muzzleloader mag pictured one several years ago which seems plausible. There is a restock shown online (search google for Boone rifle) with Boone's name on the top barrel facet....take your pick, but I like the one pictured in Hooker's book for late Boone and mine for early Boone.

here is another pic of my "Boone Rifle":
outfitA.bmp

Hmmmm, not sure why that didn't work?

Another purported Boone gun is a trade gun displayed at the Tennessee State Museum in Nashville. If it really is a Boone gun, might it be the one that the Indians forcibly traded with him? Rather nice of them to even leave him with a gun.

Mike, I'd like to see a closer pic of that rifle. Try changing the pic from a BITMAP to a jpg file.

here's a different pic, one I showed on another thread:
Rifle_17.jpg

it has a 44" Colerain .50 bbl and Chambers early VA lock...

MIke: Glad to see someone mention Marshal Hookers (Boone Rifle) I own the one pictured in his book Born Out of Season and understand it is the only replica that he made that was not modified from the original. It's a tall and heavy rifle to shoot offhand but Boone was susposed to have been a big man. Yes it is a plain working gun with a grease hole and no other designs. Nice looking Southern Mountain type rifle.
Fox :thumbsup:

Yes...it is a very plain rifle, but everyone who handles it falls in love with the architecture and feel. I believe Don won a prize at Dixon's one year with a similar one but with a wood box.

That's a beauty. Great lines.

I don't recall how big Boone was. I did visit his home in
Mo. many years ago. I think it was at Ft. Defiance in Mo.
on the Femme Osage River.
He had a very Big Home it had a ball room in it. I did
see his bed and it sure looked small to me. I think it
also had slave Qtrs. and undergrounf tunnels leading away
from the house.
Maybe some of the guys in the "Show me State" can clear this
up. My memory of things 40 years past are clouded and over
cast. Anyway I thought Boone was small.

Redwing :redthumb:

Greetings All,

If all of the reading I have done over the years is correct, there is not an existing authenicated or verified Daniel Boone rifle or smooth bore.

As posted previously, some purported weapons exist, but definate proof does not exist.

A number of years back, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
carried a feature article on Daniel Boone and had a photo of two rifles supposedly owned by DB, but NG stated the verification was doubtful.

Best regards,

John L. Hinnant

All:
Boone was not a "big" man as big is perceived today or even then. He was an,"active" man ,(according to Filson and others). His supposed home on Femme Osage in MO, about 35 miles from me, was not built by him nor particularly resided in by him, but was a "family" home. For a number of years an especially ugly, crude old piece, with "D. Boon", scrawled on it was displayed in the KY Historical Museum in my hometown of Frankfort. For years I chided the old biddies who ran the museum about the distinct unlikeliehood that boon ever, purposely owned this piece. Even then, an item on which one expended what may have been a years wages, was not treated so cavalierly as to crudely scratch your name on the stock. It is recorded that later in his life, Boone, made fun of a KY gunsmith for producing "PLAIN" rifles. From that I would surmise that it is unlikely that any piece he purposely purchased was unlikely to have been as plain as is commonly thought. Incidentally, the "D. Boon", carvings are so prevalent in KY, as to be a running joke!!!i.e. "D. Boon kilt a bar on this tree". I reverence Mr. Boone, as a Kentuckian with family history in KY back to the settlement era and my final resting place is about 100 yards from where KY supposedly re-buried him, but KY did not treat Boone well at all, as "settlers" began to infiltrate KY and we must be cautious about ,making him "bigger than life".

Wolf

Cannis has it right, Boone wasn't a big man. As with Carson evidently his stature has grown over the years. The home in Defiance, Mo. has been pretty well proven to have belonged to his last child, Nathan Boone, who led an interesting life during the opening of the SW and the War of 1812. During his last years Nathan sold the home at Defiance and relocated to the area north of Springfield, Missouri where he died. There is still argument as to whether the bones taken from Missouri to Kentucky and reburied were actually those of Boone. From what I've read of Boone he would have vehemently protested being buried in Kentucky.

When the US acquired what is now the state of Missouri thru the Louisana purchase Boone again lost all his holdings, compliments of the US Government, (sounds familiar), but was later given, I believe, about 830 acres thru the benevolence of that same government, (that's very uncommon). That piece of property is on the Femme Osage and was where his home was located.

The John Mack Faragher book on Boone is a very good bio. I liked the comment about Boone in the book that went something like "we must remember that Boone lived in a one room log cabin". That was stated regarding all the supposed possesions credited to Boone.

Vic

That is a nice rifle, Mike. If I were to build a "Boone Rifle," I'd probably build a pretty basic Reading rifle. Nothing too fancy. Or, a Moravian rifle from North Carolina, again, pretty plain.

I have been curious bout this as well. In reading the book by John Faragher this picture is included. The relics including the rifle were supposedly Daniels. These items were kept in the old capitol in Frankfurt Kentucky. Today, I am not sure of their location?

danielsgun.jpg

I did find a documented Daniel owned Flinter here
http://hoover.archives.gov/exhibits/RevAmerica/1-Who/Boone.htm

But as we already know, Abe Lincoln's cabin at the Lincoln Memorial is a fake! Some prankster took that cabin all over the country and convinced even the government it was real!
Our tax dollars paid for a fake cabin, and the wonderful monument that contains it.

Lincolncabin.jpg

I continue for more information about his rifle!

Back