• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boot pistol.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's another little gun I got yesterday at the auction. it's English made and in .45 cal. Cute little thing and in pretty good shape for its age.
IMGP1045.JPG
IMGP1046.JPG
IMGP1047.JPG
IMGP1048.JPG
IMGP1049.JPG
IMGP1050.JPG

The spot on the bottom of the barrel looks like the remnant of a stud for a barrel wrench to take off the screw barrel.

Come now, isn’t that a little greedy? Buying all 4 and not letting someone else have some muzzleloader joy! ;-) okay, it is a cool piece!! It almost looks thier is a weld/barrel patch on the bottom of the barrel?
Actually, there was one other person bidding against me and I think I just had more coin than him.
I spent a total of 1900 on all four guns and the Metropolitan revolver is worth more than I spent on all of the guns.

Actually, there was one other person bidding against me and I think I just had more coin than him.
I spent a total of 1900 on all four guns and the Metropolitan revolver is worth more than I spent on all of the guns.
Well don’t be a hold out what else did you get! I was wanting to go to that auction but got busy doing other stuff glad it worked out for you!

An interesting conversion from flint.
I don't believe so. I've seen examples of these in some books & the extension that "looks" like a frizzen is there to protect the cap from coming off when the gun is pulled from pocket or boot. At least that's what the author said.

Here's another little gun I got yesterday at the auction. it's English made and in .45 cal. Cute little thing and in pretty good shape for its age.View attachment 123361View attachment 123362View attachment 123363View attachment 123364View attachment 123365View attachment 123366
A few more at holts London auction

1​

I don't believe so. I've seen examples of these in some books & the extension that "looks" like a frizzen is there to protect the cap from coming off when the gun is pulled from pocket or boot. At least that's what the author said.
I tend to agree with this assessment. Here are a few photos of the device in question.
IMGP1079.JPG
IMGP1080.JPG
IMGP1081.JPG

Old Hawkeye posted:
I've seen examples of these in some books & the extension that "looks" like a frizzen is there to protect the cap from coming off when the gun is pulled from pocket or boot.

Does the not-frizzen cover the cap, and then get knocked out of the way by the hammer, like an actual frizzen?

Old Hawkeye posted:
I've seen examples of these in some books & the extension that "looks" like a frizzen is there to protect the cap from coming off when the gun is pulled from pocket or boot.

Does the not-frizzen cover the cap, and then get knocked out of the way by the hammer, like an actual frizzen?
No, the top hat caps are much like musket caps and had wings. The device that looks like a frizzen comes down around the cap and holds it in place, the cap sits above the ring and stays in place when the hammer strikes.

Back