• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Blaster 5000! Or something...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas.bill92

40 Cal
Reaction score
During the summer, I tend to sit on the front porch and use an old creamer jug to flush out my barrel but once it gets cold and the wind starts howling, it ain't so much fun. I got to thinking about those sinks back in chemistry lab that had a hose barb on them and how I could set up my utility sink with one of those. Well $25 worth of hardware later, I think I have got it, now to see how it works. My plan is to take the rifle over my shoulder with the muzzle down in the sink tub, run the vinyl tube all the way to the breech face, hold tight, and let 'er rip. Could work great, could be a disaster. I'll find out this weekend.

I know, I know, plug the flash hole first.

20230103_113702.jpg

Try this for plugging the touch hole........from an old post of mine.....

Yesterday I had a chance to shoot just a few rounds (for the first time) from the copy of the Chambers rifle I built a while back. Got ready to clean it today with my usual remove the lock, plug the touch hole with a toothpick, fill the bore with water, etc., etc. Just after I put the toothpick in the touch hole, I broke it off and spent a while trying to get the remnant out. As I was doing this, I noticed that I had two high pull, small magnets on my work bench and had a thought. These magnets are rare earth (Neodymium) and are 3/8 inch in diameter and 1/2 inch long. They have a pull of 19 pounds. So I cut a small piece of silicone tape to use as a gasket, placed that over the touch hole, and then held it in place with the magnets. Long story short, it worked like a charm. No leaks. Easy to attach and easy to remove. The magnets are commercially available. To each his own but this is the new normal for me. Thought others might like to hear about it.

Lock out, magnet and gasket, plug in place, all done.

I now make a magnetic flush tube assembly that works much the same way except that the magnet has a hole through it and I use a rubber / cork mixed gasket.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/my-new-way-of-cleaning-with-a-magnet.135429/#post-1892519

I also use the rare earth magnets with a hole in them for flushing my flint locks. I cut off the tip of a vinyl glove and put it over the magnet attachment and put a small hole in the glove tip to coorespond with the hole in the magnet. Makes a water tight gasket for flushing.

Try this for plugging the touch hole........from an old post of mine.....

Yesterday I had a chance to shoot just a few rounds (for the first time) from the copy of the Chambers rifle I built a while back. Got ready to clean it today with my usual remove the lock, plug the touch hole with a toothpick, fill the bore with water, etc., etc. Just after I put the toothpick in the touch hole, I broke it off and spent a while trying to get the remnant out. As I was doing this, I noticed that I had two high pull, small magnets on my work bench and had a thought. These magnets are rare earth (Neodymium) and are 3/8 inch in diameter and 1/2 inch long. They have a pull of 19 pounds. So I cut a small piece of silicone tape to use as a gasket, placed that over the touch hole, and then held it in place with the magnets. Long story short, it worked like a charm. No leaks. Easy to attach and easy to remove. The magnets are commercially available. To each his own but this is the new normal for me. Thought others might like to hear about it.

Lock out, magnet and gasket, plug in place, all done.

I now make a magnetic flush tube assembly that works much the same way except that the magnet has a hole through it and I use a rubber / cork mixed gasket.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/my-new-way-of-cleaning-with-a-magnet.135429/#post-1892519
Pretty clever! I like it.

Back