• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bore butter for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4given

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Another newbie question if you all don't mind.

I will be elk hunting in Idaho with my .54 Renegade begining Sept 8. It could be a bit warm. I have been shooting it at the range using 100 grains of Goex FFG behind a 450 grain cast Lyman Plains bullet lubed with T/C Bore Butter. It has been shooting great giving me a 1.25 inch group at 50 yards and a 1.75 inch group at 100 yards off the bench.

Will the bore butter be OK in my rifle all day or will it contaminate my powder? Do I need to go to a stiffer lube or maybe stiffin up the bore butter with a little wax? Don't want to change things up too much as I just about have this load dialed in......

I've done it without any noticeable issues. If your worried about it melting in warm weather and contaminating the powder you could test it out on the range during a hot day.

A fiber wad could also help. I actually used bore butter wads from time to time without problems.

If you are worried about it load the powder and then crush a patch-size piece of waxed paper and press that down before putting the patched ball down. I occasionally leave a rifle loaded week-to-week in deer season and, as far as I can tell, this works to keep the powder uncontaminated with the wax/oil lube I use and doesn't effect point of impact.

bore butter is fine, just lightly lube the conicals with it. You just need enough to help the bullet down the bore. Over lubing just causes a mess and allows fouling to build up quicker.

FWIW, when I've used conicals I've used a prelubed felt wad over the powder to protect the base of the bullet, minimize/avoid leading, etc.
The additional benefit is that the wad protects the powder from what's above it.

Though I've never cared much for Bore Butter I do admit to using it in the hunting woods. With few shots fired it works quite well. Otherwise I normally use Hoppes.

When you get your rifle dialed in I hope you come across something like this.

46elk.jpg

My son took this picture and sent it to me from Northern Arizona.

He counted 46 elk, mainly cows.

Me too Zoni! I will be looking for a cow during this hunt. :thumbsup:

I was going to ask the same question about patch lube for hunting, thanks for beating me to the punch. I'm hoping to see what's in the pic too as I've drawn muzzleloader tags for cow elk, and mulie buck, up here in Northern Nevada. Can't wait, going scouting in a couple weeks, opens in just over a month.

Just put a felt wad under the bullet and you will be ok. Ok-yoke make thems and they are sold by RMC. Track of the wolf should have them as do most of the other places that sell black powder type stuff.

A conical is a good idea for elk.

Unless you are filling a conical bullet base with it, I can't imagine how you would have any problem just loading it normally. I use BB on PRB loads (even more direct powder contact than you would have) routinely whether it be warm out or Minnesota cold. The pile of meat in my freezer attests to the lack of problems...

Back