• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4given

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am sure this subject has been beat to death on this forum but I have doen a search and cannot seem to fins out too much about it.

Being new to muzzleloaders I am interested in hearing how you all clean yours. I have a TC Renegade .54

Currently I am using the hot, soapy water method, followed by a boiling water rinse, let it cool off some then following up with a couple of patches of bore butter whlile still warm.

It seems to work OK but the thought of using water makes me a little uneasy. Am I worried over nothing? Is there a better way?

Atta Boy, :thumbsup:
Dig through the back pages a bunch,
There ton's of priceless info already writin in these forums,,

There are many, many solutiuons that disolve black powder fouling. But since the fowling is so plantiful just disolving it isn't ehough, you need to remove it as well. So since water is the cheapest I use a lot of it to flush out the fouling, dry the barrel and oil well. :idunno:

If your bore is in bad shape and needs a really good cleaning, you can use an undersized cleaning jag and a piece of 3M Scotch Brite to really clean out the crud. Just ujse it in the same manner as a patch when doing a normal soap and water cleaning. 10 to 20 strokes with a bit of Scotch Brite will get most any crud including some rust. I like to use boiling water to rinse my bore after a soap and water cleaning and while it is still hot, I squirt a good dose of WD-40 down the bore to displace any residual moisture. Several dry patches to remove the WD-40 and then a patch with Barricade for rust protection and you're done.

Just so folks will know, Scotch Brite pads all have the same abrasives on them as many sandpapers.

When they are used to "clean" the bore they are sanding away material.

Because of this I recommend using #00 or #000 steel wool during the first attempt at cleaning up a bore.
The steel wool is about the same hardness as the steel barrel so although it will wear away very small amounts of material, using it will often do the job without changing the bore size a measurable amount.

If subsequent shooting indicates the bore is still too rough (examine the shot patches) then going to the Scotch Brite may be the only solution left short of reboring the barrel.

I always just used soapy water, Hot or cold. I dont see where it makes much of a difference. If I have some buildup from a lot of shooting for sitting in the cabinet too long I use a bore brush first. Then I just lube the inside with a light layer of crisco and plug the barrel with a cork when storing for long periods of time.

As far as BP fouling warm or cold water doesn't matter. It depends on what lube you use. The thicker grease type lubes need warm soapy water to facilitate residue removal.

i know a lot of people use soap and water and i know that it works but i just cant bring myself to put water in my barrel. try this, make a equal 3 part mix of Murphy's oil soap, ammonia and isopropyl alcohol. (almost the same as my Griz). soak a cleaning patch in the mix and run it down the bore, then a scrub brush dipped in the mix 3 or 4 times down the bore followed by another wet patch. then a dry patch, wet patch, dry patch. and i bet you will be squeaky clean by then... make sure to run another dry patch down and then soak a patch in WD-40 and lube the barrel real good. we have been using this method for over 30 years with excellent results and no ill effects other people will say a ammonia based cleaned will do. the deal is your not allowing the ammonia to stay in the barrel long enough to harm it.

but the thought of using water makes me a little uneasy. Am I worried over nothing?

no worries,,water is the best you can use,,,jus dry, an use a lube/oil/etc to prevent rust.., your choice.. I use GoJo hand cleaner to clean.., rinse with water, dry it,spray/wipe w/ wd40 |(for short storage,)gunoil long term ..works great fast easy cheap..jus my opinion.. :wink:

4given said:
I am sure this subject has been beat to death on this forum but I have doen a search and cannot seem to fins out too much about it.

Being new to muzzleloaders I am interested in hearing how you all clean yours. I have a TC Renegade .54

Currently I am using the hot, soapy water method, followed by a boiling water rinse, let it cool off some then following up with a couple of patches of bore butter whlile still warm.

It seems to work OK but the thought of using water makes me a little uneasy. Am I worried over nothing? Is there a better way?

Water is the best and nearly only solvent that will dissolve the harmful elements left behind by black powder and the corrosive replica powders.
I would not trust anything else.
BP fouling sucks up water like a sponge so its very easy to remove with water.
If you try to remove it with petroleum based cleaners the cleaning will not be complete all too often and what is left, having been soaked with petroleum may turn to a concrete like substance in the bore with subsequent fouling.
If using powders containing perchlorates then you BETTER get it ALL out since this stuff will literally dissolve the metal even under an oil film.
So learn how to clean properly, dry properly and protect properly.

Hot water is bad, soapy water needs to to be rinsed away since soap is corrosive.
Dan

Wow, thought I was one the few guys that uses Murphy Oil Soap, Ammonia & Alcohol as a cleaner! I've been using this stuff since the 80's with excelent results as well. Just remember to give it a good shake before using as it tends to seperate after sitting for a while!

just started using that exact mix but we have use a mix called griz for years, basically the same stuff just janitor in a drum instead of Murphy oil soap. however they stopped making janitor in a drum a few years ago so anything out there that you can find is about $35 a gallon, and trust me there isn't a lot.if you happen to have some or are willing to pay the price, just add one more equal cut of water to the mix and it's the best stuff since sliced bread.

Back