• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore photos?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonasa Umbellus

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good, clear bore photos they could share that would illustrate the various differences between a new bore and one that is shot out, pitted, rusted, or otherwise unusable? Those of us new to BP could benefit from seeing examples of what to look for--and look out for--when we are shopping used guns. I have a drop-down-the-bore borelight that does a great job of illuminating the bore, but I'm not always clear on what I am seeing. In looking at a dark bore, I've had sellers tell me, "Oh, that's not pitting or anything to worry about; that's just a seasoned bore. All seasoned bores look like that." We could benefit from photos that would illustrate the top priority red flags to look for in a bore that would make us want to put it back on the rack and move on.

Many thanks in advance.

First you need to check to make sure the dealer isn't handing you a loaded rifle. you do this with the ramrod: reference the length of the ramrod while inserted into the length of the barrel. Keep the muzzle in a safe direction at all times

Second. It is rare for a ML to have a shot out barrel (when compared to a modern cf) mainly because of the difference in pressures. what is more common is a short started barrel: this is a bulge in the barrel caused by a projectile not properly seated all the way and then negligently fired, this bulge completely ruins the barrel. to check to see if the barrel was negligently short started: run a double patch through the bore and try to detect any differences in resistance: those differences are usually an indication that the barrel has been negligently short started and is now worthless

"seasoned barrel" is usually scummy dealer talk for neglected and roached out. NO RUST/NO PITS

you can buy a drop in light to check out the bore, something like this: http://www.logcabinshop.com/catalog.php?path=185_130&product_id=68599

there is this guy who is a legend if you ever need to re-bore a barrel: Bob Hoyt 717-642-6696

other common sense stuff such as no gouges, scrapes, jagged burrs etc

Last edited by a moderator:
On smaller bores, a light may be too big to go down the bore. The way to check is to drop a jag down the bore in reverse and shine a light down the bore. The jag will reflect the light and you get a good view of the rifling.

I've never had a rifle with a dark bore, not sure I'd buy one. But if the rifling, though dark, appears strong and it's a good deal, it would be worth running a patch down the bore to see if it goes smoothly down or hangs on something. A good time to determine the twist, too.

I do most of my evaluations by feel....
That said, If you have to ask what the difference in bores looks like, there probably isn't anything wrong with it...

A dark bore might simply mean that it is blued on the inside or has turned into a magnetite coating....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2M-USB-7mm-...162183?hash=item486b8ebe07:g:cuoAAOSwVFlT47sg

Put a cotton ball in front of it and push it down the bore, pull camera out a few inches and take a look.
Snapshot000003_1.jpg

Shiny is purty though, and indicates no pits. The main problem with a pitted bore is that it holds fouling and makes reloading tougher. It may not affect accuracy at all. But you don't want to buy a pitted barrel if you have any choice about it. You can get a good feel of the barrel with a tight fitting jag and patch.

You can find endoscope type bore cameras on Amazon for around $20 that will do the job for you. Look for one with a camera diameter that'll fit your bore. They hook to your laptop, I hear they have 'em for smartphones too, but I'm not that technologically advanced. :grin:

I think they are worth the investment, YMMV.
http://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Wate..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0KEWH93J70AV5SCQG4AP

If you search the net, try "bore condition images", you'll find lots of online photos of bores in various conditions.

I learned a lot from using a bore scope. I bought one at a Flea Market, only to find out that I can no longer find bulbs for it. But, until the bulb burned out, this is what I found out........round bottom rifling is difficult to get clean. The patch doesn't compress deep enough into the rifle to get everything clean. Second, deep rifling, like what you would see in a Douglas barrel is also difficult to get clean in the sharp corners of the rifling. Barrels with shallow rifling, like you would see in a TC barrel, clean up nicely.

A bore light, almost, shows too much. It is magnified, and it will make you feel like you could never get it clean.

I gave the bore scope to my son-in-law, to see if he could find a bulb that would work. I haven't heard back from him. So, I guess he hasn't found anything that would work.

I happen to have what you're looking for. A friend of mine had a TC Hawken that had a bullet stuck in the barrel for about 20 years, maybe more. Here is the barrel with the bullet in place.

Still0006_zps93od9tpu.png

This is the bullet I took out. I know this is an unmentionable but it is for learning purposes only.

IMG_2098_zpsdktvi9j3.jpg

The bullet was in the polly patch round sice down flat side was out. You can see where I put the puller on it in this picture.

IMG_2097_zps7obfwk95.jpg

After I cleaned it up this is what it looked like. I have a wad stuffed down the barrel so you could see the sides. It took several hundred passes with a patch with JB bore paste.

Still0013_zps3y9xls9y.png

Still0014_zpsaymbokfz.png

This is what the breech looked like before.

Still0007_zps1vquqolw.png

And the breech after.

Still0011_zpsjxgrinhc.png

Still0009_zpsmwzlrtty.png

Thanks Idaho; those ARE exactly what I was hoping to see. So, the dark staining on the barrel when the unmentionable was lodged in it was just run-of-the-mill fouling? The cleaned barrel looks none the worse for having had that gunk on it: no signs of pitting or corrosion, right?

I did a HE!! of a lot of polishing on that barrel to get it to there. Literally hundreds of passes with JB bore paste. Some of that darkness might have been original bluing on the inside of the barrel I don't know. I am sure a lot of it was fouling. I know the man very well that had the barrel but when I started to ask him questions he got real defensive. I didn't push him about it. I was trying to get pictures just for this reason. I also was hoping that the barrel was shot and he would sell it to me. No luck. There was no sign in the area of the rifling's but the breech was a different story. There was some damage but but not that much really, and that is where the powder was.
I have bought a lot of rifles just to get the stocks. All the barrels I have ever got were all garbage. This one in my friends rifle was actually is super shape considering the situation. I am glad that the pictures were what you needed. :thumbsup:

Ron good idea a bit of clean white cotton, I recently got a cheap bore light and have found it most useful,

Cheers

Heeler au

Ron,
Thank you for sharing those pictures. That is a truly amazing transformation. Nice to see that a little (or a lot of) elbow grease and rubbing compound can actually save a barrel that most would think beyond salvage. Nice work....Mick C :hatsoff:

Back