• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boresighting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have just upgraded the sights on my CVA Mountain Rifle. I was wondering if anyone here has a trick for getting the sights close before going to the range. Thanks. Don

With typical primitive ML sights if front and rear are centered then they are usually pretty close and just need filed for elevation...I don't know what an upgrade for a nice traditional gun like a CVA MT rifle could be so I can't help there

Yea, that's (visually centering them) all I've done in the past . . . . 'just wondering if there might be a trick I didn't know. I've gone to a TC adjustable rear peep sight and Lyman series 17 high front sight. This is the same set-up I've used for years on my .45 CVA Kentucky and it really works well for me. Don

I actually bought the arbor to be able to fit my Bushnell Boresighter to the .50 . . . . . now, I really didn't think that one through very completely did I . . . . . :hmm: Don

Yea, that's (visually centering them) all I've done in the past . . . . 'just wondering if there might be a trick I didn't know. I've gone to a TC adjustable rear peep sight and Lyman series 17 high front sight. This is the same set-up I've used for years on my .45 CVA Kentucky and it really works well for me. Don

That's a nice sight setup. It sounds like an upgrade to me. :thumbsup:

all i do is line em up by eyeball and start at 25yds with a good sized piece of cardboard. :results:

Don Heres the I do my sights, I measure the distance of the front sight from top barrel flange to top of sight with small rule then measure rear from barrel to notch of rear sight then you will see how much you have to adjust on one or other this is just for up and down. I have good luck doing this For rt and Lt the back sight goes opposite For front, sight goes same way it is hitting hope this helps
Dilly

I'll try measuring the relative heights with a caliper. That seems like a good idea. And, as far as windage, just eyeball it until I get to the range (maybe tomorrow morning . . . ). I know how to do the adjustments, the point of the post was just to see if anyone had a system to pre-sight or boresight a muzzlestuffer. 'Seems like we've all pretty-much been doing it the same with a few variations. Don

"That's a nice sight setup. It sounds like an upgrade to me. "

I guess some of us have a different perspective on how, or if a traditional ML can be ..."upgraded" without becoming something else (VBG)

"That's a nice sight setup. It sounds like an upgrade to me. "

I guess some of us have a different perspective on how, or if a traditional ML can be ..."upgraded" without becoming something else (VBG)

I reread his posts and didn't see the words "traditional muzzleloader" or "period correct" used even once. You interjected that part and then made your usual commentary. Maybe he just enjoys shooting his muzzleloaders and wants to have a different sighting system. I still think it's a nice sight setup.

without becoming something else

'Sure 'nuff! :says: It changed from my hunting rifle to my hunting rifle! :imo: And, what an as% I must be for throwing-away the original front sight so it can never be traditional again.

You've sort-of hijacked my thread to attack my purposes without really considering that it is my property and that, in fact, I have done nothing significant that cannot be easily reversed. :relax:

Nevertheless, I am :sorry: you were offended by what I consider to be an improvement to my weapon, for my purposes.

Don

I was not offended at all and it is yours or anyones right to do whatever you wish to modify your ML guns, a hinged breech with a chamber for a cartridge and a modified hammer to hit the primer from behind would probably improve the efficiency of the gun as well, I just find it interesting that folks take the step back in time to the world of ML shooting then do as much as possible to make them perform like a modern gun, I hope the sight works well for you as the modern world of shooting gear is obviously what you prefer, and in this state this is one of the issues about limiting technology that did not get banned but was polled as to the general feeling towards their use, most long time hunters would have opted to ban them but that is another thread, I think this whole ML thing has become something not much worth being involved with from the perspective of these forums any more, as it has been diluted so much from what it once was, enjoy your shooting/hunting with whatever you have that loads from the front.

I think this whole ML thing has become something not much worth being involved with from the perspective of these forums any more

What a pr$&%! No, you stay. I'll go. You are absolutely correct! :crackup: :crackup: If you have any doubt, ask yourself . I don't need this.

it amazes me how people always say we need more people to get into traditional muzzle loading and then we bash them for them making it what they want. Why not just say that anyone who puts a barrel on a gun that isnt hand made or perhaps a lock that isnt hand made or to go one step further why not if you personnaly did'nt make every peice of your gun you self its not traditional. what a load of manure. after all i beleive :imo: that your rifle should be personalized. these are just my opinions and i am sorry that some may be offended or possibly upset that i dont think as they do. i think the sight upgrade if fine and i hope it serves you well. :blah:

I actually bought the arbor to be able to fit my Bushnell Boresighter to the .50 . . . . . now, I really didn't think that one through very completely did I . . . . . :hmm: Don
Don nothing wrong with using your Bushnell boresighter with the .50 cal. arbor. I've had mine since about 1968 and have boresighted about a zillion muzzleloaders of various calibers as well as many iron sighted cartridge rifles and pistols.

Not to throw whale fat on this fire but hasn't peep sights been around for a long time? Were they not invented before the Mountain men roamed the great west in this country?

Just asking I don't know for sure I know Hollywood plays tricks on us.

:relax:

Latest posts

Back