• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boresighting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't see a problem with improving your sights on a ML. i would rather hit what i'm aiming at than miss with original sights. and it still stuffs from the front and its not an inline. don, do what you want, its yours. hell, i put a williams on my heritage and its a tack-driver with the longer sight radius. :imo:

I too have several muzzleloading rifles with tang mounted rear peep sights. Some have plain front sights and some have Globe front sights.
I made these conversions due to my cataracts which keep me from seeing the target or the front sight. (Did you know that target shooting, when you see three targets and three front sights is very challenging?
Fortunatly, I now have lens implants and can see again.)

During this period, because I'm interested in history and not wanting my guns to be too far from being "correct", I did some digging and noted that muzzleloading rifles not only could, but did use these sights back in the 1800s.

Yes, a lot of them were made for target shooting, but I strongly suspect that they weren't alone.

Seems to me, if my memory isn't going, the Famous "Creedmore Match", which the Americans won, would have been won by the folks from the U.K. with their Muzzleloading Rifles had they not fired their last shot on the wrong target. :) All of the guns in this competition used peep sights for this long range shoot.

The bottom line is, a lot of folks do not care one bit about their guns being Period Correct.

A lot of folks do want their guns to be Period Correct, but the question that should be asked before being critical is: "which period?" If it's the late 1800s Peep Sights and Globe Sights are" correct."

Looks like you made it home from Bridger. I use one of those lazers that fit the muzzle, works ok. Oops did they have those in 1830, I wonder.

:redthumb:
Redwing

(Did you know that target shooting, when you see three targets and three front sights is very challenging?
i don't know why that is so hard, just shoot the one in the middle. :crackup:

"That's a nice sight setup. It sounds like an upgrade to me. "

I guess some of us have a different perspective on how, or if a traditional ML can be ..."upgraded" without becoming something else (VBG)

Why I even put a fire sight on front and British "express" shallow "V" on teh back of my CVA Bobcat Christmas present. I doubt very much if anyone'll notice they ain't traditional. :m2c:

Latest posts

Back