• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought a Smoker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have gotten rid of an electric smoker, still have a Cabela’s propane smoker, though I haven’t used it in years, and a Primo charcoal grill that I can smoke smaller quantities of whatever on. Love it. Also have about a facecord of pecan wood stacked up and is my goto smoking wood, though nothing wrong with other woods if that’s what you have and like.

New batch.
Cherry/Hickory, my favourite so far.
Seven day vacuum packed Salt Beetroot spice Rub.
Washed and soaked in water for 5 hours. Tried some cold this morning, very nice and not salty. Nice and sticky outside.
Six hour smoking, 75c final internal temp.

IMG_7700_Bacon-1200.jpg

IMG_7706_Bacon-800.jpg

IMG_7731_Bacon-1000.jpg

IMG_7736_Bacon-1000.jpg

IMG_7743_Bacon-1000.jpg

Several years ago, I found "Amazing Ribs" website. Very helpful from professional and amateur meat cookers. Free stuff, too. Saved me a lot of time/trouble and money. Some funny stuff, too.
Years ago I was down south In N.C. and into archery so a friend and I went to Mo. to attend Mo-Jam! It was an archers Meca! We also went to Kansas City and while there we visited a B.B.Q beef place which was just a hole in the wall that had Brisket to die for . The burnt ends were a delicacy. What shocked me most was the pictures on the wall of celebrties, politicians and movie stars that had frequented this place . I don't remember the name but if you ever go to K town you need to eat at the place you will be in for a treat. Ask any local and they will tell you where to go! It is well known!

For pork shoulder or butt I put sea salt and black pepper on all sides rubbed in, then completely coat with yellow mustard. When it’s done there is no hint of mustard flavor, man is it good.
Eastern N.C. B.B.Q doesn't use mustard it is vinegar based. I prefer it over the mustard type but both are good.

My target temp for pork butts and brisket is 203 with at least at hour rest. When wrapped and put in a cooler the temp will rise a degree or two. This has been good for me but do keep in mind every cut of meat is different. The ratio between fat and muscle is always going to be variable and at times you need to tweak things.
On another note we just had some good rain his morning and I am going to go burn piles of live oak, post oak and mesquite I have pushed up bulldozing. My pastures will be smelling great in a few hours. I'll have coals for at least a week.
This was View attachment 344937post oak from a few weeks ago.
We cook a whole 250# hog six hours at 250 degrees works like a charm!

Should clarify, the 203 degrees mentioned is the internal temperature of the meat not the cooking temp. When that is met the meat comes out of the pit and placed in a cooler.
Makes sense to me! I forgot to mention we cook our hogs 5 hours and 30 minute more after it is done to crisp the skin. This is eastern N.C. B.B.Q.
and it don't get any better than that! LOL!

My wife got me a Weber charcoal smoker last Christmas. I've smoked Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Cheese, Mac 'n Cheese, and other things. There is NOTHING that comes out of a smoker that taste less than fantastic.

The Mrs gets various types of block cheese's. To smoke those it takes only a small portion of charcoal as you don't want the temp much higher than 100. Less is better but I can't seem to manage that. I use two aluminum pans for each type. Start when the cheese is at room temp. put ice cubes in one aluminum tray (line it with ice) then put another aluminum tray on top with the block cheese in it. If they are big blocks of cheese, just cut them in thirds or quarters.

Smoke 'em for maybe an hour. The bad part is when they are done, there seems to be a lot of wine bottles being open!!

I have several grills but one I have never used? It is a round barrel type with a domed lid? has grate at different levels. My friend passed away and itwas in some things he willed to me. He had converted it to propane. I would like to have it back to the way it was but I don't have any directions with it? Anyone want to guide me?

I have several grills but one I have never used? It is a round barrel type with a domed lid? has grate at different levels. My friend passed away and itwas in some things he willed to me. He had converted it to propane. I would like to have it back to the way it was but I don't have any directions with it? Anyone want to guide me?
Here's the weber I have. I'm not sure if your's is a Weber or not. I would think you could find directions at the manufacturers web site if you want some guidance.

Here's the weber I have. I'm not sure if your's is a Weber or not. I would think you could find directions at the manufacturers web site if you want some guidance.
It appears I now own a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker? Thanks for the heads up pal. I had no idea that my cooker was so expensive? That cooker is over $500.00 at the site I found?

people use blocks of ice to lower the temperature so it does not go higher then 90.

You can always cold smoke delicate things.
I built a smoke generator and a box that did a good job with cheeses, eggs, nuts etc. It smokes at ambient temperature and does not induce any heat into the box, pretty neat.
I don’t have any pics of delicate things being smoked but here is the generator and pic of the box with some sausage fixing to get a little smoke. It was for small batches as I had a dedicated smoke house at the time.
IMG_4476.jpeg
IMG_4477.jpeg

Latest posts

Back