• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought myself a Xmas present at the Gun Show

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have to tell someone.

Arrived at the gun show at 08:10. Had wandered around most of the day looking and chatting - isn't that what we should do at a show? I must have passed this firearm 20 times. Was just about to leave with I noticed the "shotgun" with sights. I reached over the trestle and stuck my finger into one of the barrels and it wouldn't fit. I was now excited.

Now I own a Pedersoli Kodiak with both the .58 calibre and the 12 gauge barrel sets. I should get an approval to purchase from our Firearms Registry just after New Year then the fun starts.

Have you ever shot a Kodiak? What did you think of it? Did you work up any good loads for the rifle or the gun?

Thanks for listening to my bragging. :crackup:

Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob

You have to go through all that to buy an ML gun down in Oz? :shocking::: :: :: :curse:

That's a sad state of affairs. I picked up my first ml the same day, walked in, put my money down, and walked out. Didn't even show an ID.

On the upside, I guess it'll make your piece that much more enjoyable when you finally get it...

Send us some baby pictures!

Jon.

Is that a Minie ball gun? Sounds like fun. I keep permenant permission to buy .577 and .451, my favorite calibers ::

Aussie Bob,
don't mean to be nosey but what did you pay for it?? also does australia an equilavant to our NRA. if they do they need help!!!! :imo:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :peace:

Permanent permission? ::

Yes, permission, this is not the land of the free ::

permish.jpg

It's not a problem, I can get permission for anything I want muzzle loading, it's just an inconvenience.

Eng.and Aust.are prime examples of what happens when We let our guard down.Most all European Countrys have severe restrictions on private ownership.The sad part is ,that violent crime has increased since the latest restrictions were imposed,For the most part, Canada is trying to follow suite.One of the first steps to toltarian goverment,is the confication of privately owned weapons."nuff said". :curse: :redthumb:

Without being political I can comment.

It's not easy to get accurate figures because nobody wants to give accurate figures, anyone who gives you figures is probably trying to prove a point.

The UK murder rate soared, but that was due to one man, mass murderer Dr Harold Shipman who nearly got the world record body count.

Violent crime is down, if you accept the government figures. Most shootings are gang warfare in Manchester and Nottingham. We all know the problem group but can't comment without being racist.

But I digress, has anyone got a pic of a Pedersoli Kodiak to show us?

They're pretty nice, overall. The only real PROBLEM is the fences, while there, aren't high enough to prevent some cap fragment flight depending on the loads used. The nipples stand quite proud on the barrels. Properly shaped breeches and hammers of correct bend and length would have been a nice touch. They generally aren't too bad, but heavy loads with slugs can cause the hammers to lift a bit. New springs might be in order(custom made, likely)I'd never shoot it without glasses.
: The barrels are supposed to be lazer aligned, definitely not regulated. They have two rear sights, one for each barrel, mounted centrally on the rib as is the front sight bead.
: They generally shoot patched round balls very accurately, have 48" twists about .010" rifling which is still OK in .58 cal and short slugs. They also generally shoot REAL bullets fairly well. A friend, who also owns the .75 cal English gun my Bro made, has one that actually gets by with only one sight with a particular load. He has the first sighted for 100yds. and the second for 150yds. Some load development can get the barrels fairly close - sometimes, but only in some guns. Usualy the ones for sale, are wide shooters, that is, the barrels will have gross elevaton and windage dispersion from one another. I've seen them shoot 2" apart. I've heard of one back in the 80's that couldn't be sighted in with either sight.
: There is one for sale locally, for $500.00 with some 'junk' for accourterments. I almost bought it, but it had too many very deeply hammered marks like "FOR BLACK POWDER ONLY MADE IN ITALY," etc etc.
: Except for the rather skinny breeches, they are pretty cool pieces just the same. That's about $385US at this time.

The .50 and .58 versions have a 1:48 twist, and the .54 version has a 1:66 twist. Their website says the .72 version has a twist of 1:75, but the Dixie catalog says it's 1:86, so I'm not sure which is correct. Their website does have a lot of translator typos.

The website also says interchangeable 10 gauge barrels are available, but that might also be a mistake, maybe they meant 12 gauge.

Enjoy the Kodiak .58! Bought mine from Dixie Gun Works - they retail arount $800.00. I also have the pedersoli 10 ga. double. My best loads are as follows;

.570 round ball, "wonder'lubed" pillow ticking .018, 100 grains Goex 2f. Shot a 1 7/8" group with 6 shots (3 each barrel) at 50 yards. I kept the target! This is the load I hunt deer with.

85 or 90 grains Triple 7 and the rest same as above (or spit-lubed pillow ticking).

"Black Widow Bullet Co." 400 grain bore-size conical, wonder-lubed pillow ticking, 100, 110, and 120 grain Triple 7. Go to www.blackwidowbullets.com.

I am going to try load #1 with the new Black Mag3 and 90 to 100 grains since its so easy to clean.

Kodiaks are fun! :thumbsup:

G'day John,

The Kodiak with just the rifle barrel sells new in Oz for A$1600. I picked this up with both barrels for A$1300. It appears to have had very little use and this is confirmed by the bloke I bought it from.

Cheers again from down under
Aussie Bob

AussieBob,please excuse My little tantrum.No offence ment towards you or Squire Robins.you've found yourself one nice gun,What is the amount in US dollars?or is that what You quoted the price in? Seems there used to be a few black powder dbl.bbl.rifles on the market.I think they stopped selling because most states here don't allow only single shot rifles in the muzzleloader seasons.CVA sold an over/under .50cal. for a while,and there were others that sold the sxs models.Keep us posted on the loads you develope. :peace: :redthumb:

G'day Snake-Eyes,

You asked if we had an equivalent to the NRA. I guess the answer is yes, Sporting Shooters Association of Australia (SSAA). But we also have the Australian Shooting Association (ASA) who is the ISSF rep in Australia. We have Pistol Australia (PA) who look after most of the pistol shooting but SSAA has a lot to do with other pistol comps as well. The firearms laws are state based and therefore PA has little influence with these as the state associations of PA do not work together, in this persons eyes.

We would be a lot better off if we had one organisation like your NRA but each of our groups want to be Top Dog and do not trust each other. As a result firearms organisations do not tend to work well together. The only real strength we seem to have is the Shooters Party has one polititian in the NSW State Government and his job is to work for shooters. Our Prime Minister, John Howard, has stated in public that he hates guns and would like to get rid of them all and he is trying. On the otherhand he loves sending our people to war. Anything George Bush suggests is OK by Little Johnny. He even has news conferences outside his office doors exactly like George Bush. :m2c:

Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob

To the best of my knowledge, we, here in the United States of America are the only people in the world who have a Constitutional Amendment which says "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Thanks to the wisdom of our founding Fathers, the "Anti's" havent' gotten around that statement in all of the States, but they keep trying. :curse: :curse:

Latest posts

Back